Choose style:

Author Topic: 2 things  (Read 10563 times)

Offline wizzard8955

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
2 things
« on: February 02, 2016, 10:31:22 pm »
I am not a happy customer. Weather beta does not work on any of all the almond 2015 units I bought. I was told support could help me but they did not. I was then told that a software update was required.
Secondly, I have a unit that got dropped and cracked the lcd screen. I need a new lcd and since i am a technician I can replace it myself. But then I was told they will not sell me parts at any price. Poor customer service in my eyes.
So because lcd does not work a perfectly good unit is now trash.
I purchase a lot of this stuff for my company but I will buy no more unless I can get these issues resolved.

Randy

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: 2 things
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 08:11:09 am »
@ wizzard8955,

I hope you already got the information, we did receive few cases regarding Weather app not working on few locations and our team has already started working on it. Hopefully, our next release would take care of the issue.

Apart from accessory kit, we don't have any option to sell any parts of the device. Try to reach our support team again and provide all the details correctly regarding the LCD crack and they may try to get it replaced.

Offline wizzard8955

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 05:35:24 pm »
I did contact support and they told me that they do not sell or send parts to anyone. So much for support. They told me they would not even sell me an LCD

Randy

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 03:23:16 pm »
Would you really expect them to sell individual parts for repair? I do not know all that many consumer product companies (right or wrong) that do so.

If you are adamant about repairing that one, and it is already not covered by warranty for some reason... I would imagine you could open the whole thing up and get a replacement part online based on what you find (make sure to take copious pictures and notes for those of us curious but unwilling to open one).
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline wizzard8955

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 11:28:06 am »
yes I do for those of us who know how to repair stuff. I did open it and I have fixed way more complicated stuff than this. This thing is pretty simple inside. I did make notes of what I found and the LCD, although I found the manufacturer in China, will not sell individual lcd's. Only in quantity. Its a real simple issue to replace the lcd, but like I said, ,you cannot get the part you just trashed a good router. Shame they will not go out of their way to even sell me the part. Very simple issue. Still do not have the weather working on the 4 other units I purchased either.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 02:44:07 pm »
Weird about the weather (I only have one A2015 and it works for weather). Bummer about the LCD... I still think they are clear on the "no customer serviceable parts" front. I prefer when companies' make parts available but I understand if they choose not to. I also appreciate those that make it easier for their customer's either way.

Depending on your teardown... You could submit the steps and pictures to iFixit.

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 03:12:26 pm »
Is the unit still operational without the LCD?

Meaning, can you access the web interface with the default settings and configure it?

Depending on where purchased, some places might over Protection Plans that cover this kind of repair. (Walmart, Best Buy)
Kickstarter Backer
Securifi Wiki Editor and Beta Tester, Not a Securifi employee
Almond+, many sensors, IOS App, Android Apps and Widgets

Offline wizzard8955

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 04:12:17 pm »
Thats the problem,, The web interface has a password set that you can only access to see what it is on the LCD!  That is as far as I  know. so you have a 2015 and your weather works?  what software version? All these of mine are 2015 also that dont work on weather.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 07:47:55 pm »
wizzard8955,
  I went back to mine to get the version (R089) but found my weather is no longer working either. Selecting the app brings up a loading screen but it disappears in a couple seconds back to the normal page. All my other settings are correct and everything else seems to be working. Not sure when this stopped working unfortunately. It was working previously, but I keep my Almond 2015 as a secondary network device not as my primary router.

Sorry about that.

Offline wizzard8955

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 08:09:42 pm »
yes ,, yours is doing the same as mine now.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 08:18:38 pm »
Yup, which means I am basically useless to you at this point. I tried rebooting, I tried digging around through all the web interface. I was also confused on how it COULD do the weather, as I am not sure how it could accurately determine where I am located to pull it from. When I checked all the device settings I found it was completely confused about what timezone I was in... But correcting that and looking over every other menu I did not see anything that struck me as being relevant. Still did not fix it. Very odd.

Although since there are a couple threads about the weather not working, I think this one could focus better on the LCD problem or at least discussing the repair-ability. Did you spot a part number on it (I assume so, since you said you found them sold in quantity) that you could share?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 08:20:51 pm by fillibar »

Offline wizzard8955

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 08:47:43 pm »
it does the weather from the weather underground site. It runs a script that contains all you local info with the temp and weather in it. The script is proper but its something in the firmware that is not processing it correctly.
As to the LCD,, yes there are many out there of that size but the interface may not be the same. I found a manufacturer that makes the same one by researching some of the numbers on the display. 2 screws open the unit,, 2 screws remove the main board and then 4 screws hold the lcd in. That's it. I cannot order 10 lcd's just to get one. I am not done researching yet. I will keep you posted.

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 11:15:04 pm »
If the LCD is the same as the Almond+, you might be able to find 10 people who want a screen and would appreciate someone installing it for them.  There have been a handful of folks with a problem with the LCD for one reason or another.

It's likely the weather binary that's the issue. Not certain, but if the autoip.json file has the correct data, that's not the problem. Well, actually it could be if it's not formatted correctly.
Kickstarter Backer
Securifi Wiki Editor and Beta Tester, Not a Securifi employee
Almond+, many sensors, IOS App, Android Apps and Widgets

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 08:29:50 am »
The Almond+ uses a larger touchscreen. 3.5" vs 2.8".

Still, keep us informed. The interface might be particularly interesting. Imagine finding a 7" screen you could wall mount...

Offline wizzard8955

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 11:11:42 pm »
I ssh into the almond. Autoip.json file does not exist in the /tmp directory at all. I suppose this means the CloudDaemon is not creating it,, although I can see it on my computer fine and  the time works fine.
I am puzzled. If I send someone the CloudDaemon.log will it tell something?

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.