Choose style:

Author Topic: Old HP Pavilion Wifi Issues with Almond  (Read 5393 times)

Offline SuicydKing

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Old HP Pavilion Wifi Issues with Almond
« on: April 09, 2016, 12:36:36 pm »
I have an old HP Pavilion dv3000. It has an Intel Wifi Link 5100 AGN card. After upgrading to an Almond 2015 from a much older router, I am having sporadic connection issues with Wifi on the laptop. I have used a Wifi analyzer and there is no problem with the signal in the area where the laptop is located. Webpages will occasionally not load, Internet gaming will lose connection and kick me out of games, Facebook will stop loading my feed, images will refuse to load, etc. I'm curious what settings on my Almond 2015 would be optimal to get this old laptop to be happy on my Almond network, hopefully without slowing down the rest of the more modern devices in my home. It's difficult to find specs on such an old wireless card, so I'm not sure what to do. Thanks.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Old HP Pavilion Wifi Issues with Almond
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 01:04:35 pm »
@ SuicydKing,

I believe the other devices are working fine with the Almond 2015, if yes then you may try changing the security mode to only WPA or WEP to check whether that is causing the issue with old desktop wireless adapter.

Offline SuicydKing

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 08:41:42 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I tried WPA, WEP Auto and WPA2. None of those helped. In fact, as soon as I first tried WPA, my laptop's connection got much worse. It did not improve after trying the other security settings. Now, when I connect to my network, I get about 90 seconds of connectivity. After that, I am unable to access any websites. Running a speed test from Ookla sees a very low download speed (around 1.5) and no dectable upload speed. My ping is about 36. I have to start the speed test as soon as I connect to the network, before I am unable to acces any websites. By the time the test is finished, I can no longer connect to anything. Switching back to WPAPSKWPA2PSK (my original settings) has not helped, I am still unable to connect to any websites. To summarize, trying different security settings has made the situation go from frustrating to untenable.

I ran a speed test on my phone, using Wifi, while sitting in front of said laptop. It is getting around 15 down and 1.8 up, so I don't think it's any issue with the laptop's physical location in the house.

Any other suggestions? I am currently using 11b/g/n mixed mode, as anything else was making other devices in my home have a very slow connection.

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 02:37:03 am »
Hardwire the laptop into the Almond and test speed.
It may not be the WiFi that is the problem.

Kickstarter Backer
Securifi Wiki Editor and Beta Tester, Not a Securifi employee
Almond+, many sensors, IOS App, Android Apps and Widgets

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 02:41:20 am »
Change your DNS info

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Configure your network settings to use the IP addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers.
Kickstarter Backer
Securifi Wiki Editor and Beta Tester, Not a Securifi employee
Almond+, many sensors, IOS App, Android Apps and Widgets

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.

bottleneck