Choose style:

Author Topic: Static IP w A+ / general basic networking question.  (Read 4924 times)

Offline Shazster

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Static IP w A+ / general basic networking question.
« on: April 17, 2016, 12:05:01 pm »
Since I am limited in the amount of static leases I can reserve with the Almond+ (for absolutely NO good reason, and with absolutely NO confidence that Securifi will solve this issue in a timely manner despite the standard canned answers of "maybe in a future update"), as some have pointed out here, I can assign static IP addresses at the client side. While that may seem easily done for those with a lot of IT and networking experience, for the rest of us "Humans" for whom these routers are supposed to be the primary target market, this is not so cut and dried.
In the interest of both ceasing my b÷%_=ing and moaning and taking a proactive step that hopefully will give me some basic networking understanding to broaden my knowledge a bit, here are my questions/procedure in order set static IPs within my home network:

OK. So until the static lease limit on the Almond+ gets unhobbled at this arbitrary, unecessarily foolish, inadequate and shortsighted amount of 20-ish IP addresses, I am mulling over the idea of shortening the IP range of leases it hands out with DHCP, leaving the others free to be statically assigned at the client end.
Q1- Is this do-able?
Q2- How?

My assumptions: the current DHCP range is:
10.10.10.1 to 10.10.10.250

Q3 - If I change the End IP setting in the webUI to 150, that should give me addresses 151 to 250 that I can set at the client side on any devices I want static, correct?

Q4 -Within the shortened DHCP range of 10.10.10.1 to 10.10.10.150, I can still statically lease 20 clients where setting the IP is problematic (devices where trying to statically assign an IP is a PainInTheAss, ie Nest Protects, Chromecasts), and other devices, tablets, phones etc, will request their adhoc IP leases as normal from DHCP, correct.

Q5 - I have an Almond2015 I use in repeater mode that usually grabs 10.10.10.199 (if I remember correctly - it's not in use right now). How should I adjust my DHCP end setting to accommodate this?
Eg instead of 10.10.10.1 to 10.10.10.150, should I set the end point to .200 so that it can grab it's usual spot when I power it? That will leave me with addresses .201 to .250 free to assign statically, which should be enough.

Q6 - Set up procedure?
        1-delete any static leases I currently have set up.
        2-power down all clients except pc to access webui. Unplug my ethernet switch.
        3-set DHCP endpoint in Web Ui
        4-reboot Almond+
        5-let everything reconnect to the Almond+ and get assigned IP from new shortened DHCP range.
        6-begin assigning static IPs on the select clients from the outside the DHCP range 10.10.10.201 to 250. I am not sure how to do this, though. On client, turn off DHCP, punch in static IP, reboot machine?

Q7. If the basic range in the UI is .1 to .250, and the Almond+ is 10.10.10.254, what are 10.10.10.251 to 253 used for?

I know this is all probably basic networking questions...but "routers for human", remember? The point of this router is to NOT have to know this stuff.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Static IP w A+ / general basic networking question.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 06:32:21 pm »
@ Shazster,

1) In order to give the static IP's at client end, we don't have to shorten the IP range, in fact we don't have to make any changes to it. One time setup, but we can do this.

3) Yes, if you change the end IP setting to 150 then the IP address range would be from 1 to 150.

4) Yes.

5) If we are not assigning the IP address to Almond 2015 then it could receive any IP address from 1 to 150 (apart from those 20 leases). Hence, we don't have to increase the IP address range.

6) All 5 are correct, 6th question once we give the IP address range from 1 to 150, we could only use with in that range. How to give the static IP to the client devices differs from device to device. For windows, go to respective network adapter property and select use the following IP address and DNS.

7) It is just the range which we gave from 1 to 250, we could set that to 253.

Offline Shazster

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 09:09:31 pm »
Maybe I should have been clearer. What I was going for was this:

to
10.10.10.150  handed out by DHCP (Almond+) via setting the end limit to 150

to
10.10.10.250 outside the DHCP range, therefore I can assign them as I see fit at the client side.

Are you saying if I set the end point to 150, I end up limiting ALL available addresses in the range to 150, so I shouldn't bother with this, just pick a currently unassigned IP from within the default range of 250, and set that address on the client side, turning off DHCP on the client side as well?

So, if I leave it at the default range of 1 to 250, with DHCP on and handing out IPs as it sees fit, if I statically assign one of these IPs at the client side, there is NO conflict with the Almond+ trying to potentially hand out the same IP to something else along the way. As I understood DHCP, it has the final say of what IPs it hands out, not the client, No?
And I'm only assigning client side IPs with stuff I want fixed addresses for (where possible & easy), primarily connected devices (pvr, bluray, smart tvs, wemos  if possible, hue hubs if possible, my NASs, if possible, IP cameras, etc. I'm not screwing around with windows machines trying to assign static IPs - nothing good happened the last time I tried it.

For the record:
I can't believe I'm the only one screaming about the static lease limit. You realize none of this would be necessary without that limit.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 10:09:21 pm »
@ Shazster,

We can do that, after setting the IP range up to 150 through DHCP via Almond+ and rest we can set them as static IP on the client side. If we set the IP range to 150, devices would get the IP address with in that range via DHCP (Automatically) and rest 151 to 250 you can set them on the client side.

Windows is one of the easiest OS to provide the static IP through Network adapter properties. If you are interested and need any info on this, let me know I would be happy to assist on it.

Offline Shazster

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 11:00:13 pm »
I Wil give this a try this week. I'll let you know how this works out.

Offline Shazster

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 11:30:49 pm »
So I have begun the task of assigning static IP addresses on the client sides of connected devices (the ones that will allow me to, at any rate).
For the record: not impressed with the process. Currently fighting with one connected TV the Almond+ seems to not want to recognize. Also the connected device listing in the WebUI seems to only want to list clients who receive their IPs via DHCP. There is no over-all list of connected devices, which makes seeing what is successfully connected kind of a pain. I have to dig around in the OpenWRT backend to confirm if my settings took & are accepted on the router end. I have also noticed my connection seems to be dropping out constantly now.

Assigning static IP addresses through static lease reservation would have been far simpler. Your guys need to work on removing the limit of 20 devices. This is NOT an acceptable state of affairs.

Offline Shazster

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 11:00:49 pm »
Why is the webUI constantly vomiting up notices of my devices joining....and re-joining...and rejoining...and rejoining? Devices that have static IPs assigned at the client end seem to be coming in and out of connection, and according to the WebUI joining over and over again, punctuated by the occasional "Lost Connection", then reconnecting.

Not much of a point in using connected devices as sensors if the readings are all over the map.

Do I need to send logs?

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 07:36:18 am »
@ Shazster,

I am positive, we shouldn't be facing any issues like this at all. I would personally like to work on this with you, please check you PM.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck