bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Homebridge (DIY homekit) & Almond+  (Read 8784 times)

Offline pitchdarkice

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Homebridge (DIY homekit) & Almond+
« on: May 12, 2016, 05:41:37 pm »
How about a homebridge plugin for the almond+.

Based on the platform homebridge[1] which has quite a few plugins available.  There are lots of other plugins[2] available for the platform as well.  For instance homebridge-smartthings[3]

Thoughts?

[1] https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge
[2] https://www.npmjs.com/search?q=homebridge-
[3] https://www.npmjs.com/package/homebridge-smartthings

Offline jeffbax

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Homebridge (DIY homekit) & Almond+
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 10:05:38 am »
I'd also really like to see this, would make controlling my LIFX bulbs finally possible

Offline Square Cherry

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 11:46:48 pm »
Ditto on this. I've always wished for HomeKit compatibility with the Almond+.
Andrew

Offline canphaz

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 04:30:44 am »
Has anyone done anything with this yet?
With the latest iOS10 features and improvements in HomeKit, this is getting really interesting.

It's a bit sad to see that the Almond+ hasn't very much innovated anymore since the Kickstarter campaign.
Things like HomeKit are a must these days, and as much as I love the Almond, i am considering other options now that do work with HomeKit.

I'm going to look into this as well, if i come up with something useful, i'll share it of course.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 07:29:06 am »
Not sure what you mean by not innovated. They just released software with many changes including IFTTT support. But if you mean specifically around HomeKit, not sure what their plans are there, if any.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 09:16:41 am »
Homebridge is a third party solution. All the plug-ins that are available for Homebridge are all created by third party developers and not by the device manufacturer themselves. They use the APIs provided by the device manufacturer and create the plugins. The homebridge developer accepts that Apple can shut them down anytime.

There is nothing stopping any third party from creating the plugins. However, since no major manufacturer supports Homebridge directly, I don't think Securifi will either. And this makes perfect sense. No one wants to spend time to support something that could vanish anytime.

Coming to direct HomeKit itself that requires hardware changes. Unfortunately, Apple took too long to finalize the hardware specifications. Almond started shipping in July 2014 and Apple finalized it in Oct 2014 - http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/08/apple-homekit-specifications-finalized/

So there is no way existing hardware can support HomeKit. Interestingly SmartThings and Wink, arguably the two biggest HA hubs out there don't support HomeKit (yet) as well. Securifi is not unique in this.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 06:45:13 pm »
As D.kiran stated hardware limitations are the reason for this. Apple requires certain hardware specifically for security to be in each device, Almond+ does not have this. Lack of innovation has nothing to do with this and Securifi's last six months have been very successful in adding valuable features. Most of what homekit does is available via Almond app and quite a bit more. Also, those plugins are unofficial and could get pulled at any point without guarantee. Personally it would be nice if it could work I'd be interested in playing with it but the Almond apps work great for the most part too, if they are missing a few aesthetic features.

Offline polo221

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 10:02:24 pm »
I'm new to the Homebridge scene.  I've set up Homebridge on my Mac, and I've added the plugin, and added the sample to .json file, but when adding to HomeKit, it just shows a bridge.  How do I get the accessories to populate?

Offline Shazster

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 07:44:14 pm »
What are you trying to "bridge" into Homekit? Homebridge is supposed expose non-homekit items to homekit.
Ie. I used it to bring Belkin Wemos in via HomeAssistant.
Not sure what this can pull out of an A+ to be discoverable without an interface or something using websockets to pull a specific device's state from A+ or push a change to it.

Offline polo221

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 09:13:42 pm »
I'm trying to bridge my Almond+.  I understand it won't bring over my locks, but i have a few winks bulbs, and a Jasco light switch i would love to control via HomeKit.

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 05:50:27 pm »
As D.kiran stated hardware limitations are the reason for this. Apple requires certain hardware specifically for security to be in each device, Almond+ does not have this. Lack of innovation has nothing to do with this and Securifi's last six months have been very successful in adding valuable features. Most of what homekit does is available via Almond app and quite a bit more. Also, those plugins are unofficial and could get pulled at any point without guarantee. Personally it would be nice if it could work I'd be interested in playing with it but the Almond apps work great for the most part too, if they are missing a few aesthetic features.

It's now theoretically possible (June 2017) - https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/07/homekit-ios-11-sprinklers-faucets-qr-code-nfc-authentication/

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck