bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Problem with Repeater Mode using latest firmware  (Read 12748 times)

Offline Casey_SJ

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Problem with Repeater Mode using latest firmware
« on: May 12, 2016, 11:38:11 pm »
I have two Almond+ routers, both recently upgraded to the R085 firmware. One of them is in Router Mode and the other is in Range Extender Mode.

According to the Diagnostics screens on the two Almond+ units (the LCD screen), both units are successfully connected to the Internet.

However, the unit operating in Range Extender Mode lets clients join the WiFi network, but there is absolutely no internet access!

The unit operating in Router Mode works just fine.

Both units were operating perfectly with the previous firmware, but it seems that Range Extender Mode is not working properly in the latest update.

I have taken screenshots of the Kernel and System logs, which show:

AlmondPlus kern.warn kernel: IP.......HUHHHHHHHHHHH.... Mapping problem

Edit: Typos corrected
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 10:51:00 am by Casey_SJ »

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Problem with Repeater Mode using latest firmware
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 12:52:12 am »
@ Casey_SJ,

Turn off both the Almond+, and turn on only the Router  mode unit and once it is completely back on then turn on the Range Extender mode Almond+, this should take care of the issue.

Offline Casey_SJ

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 10:57:11 am »
Ashok,

Thanks for the suggestion. I pulled the plug on both units then turned on the Router first, let it boot up completely, then turned on the Range Extender.

Unfortunately, the problem remains... My clients (iPad, iPhone, etc.) can join the Range Extended WiFi network, but no internet access is provided to the clients. The iPad and iPhone simply state that "you are not connected to the internet."

The Range Extended Almond+ can access the internet to obtain the current weather and set the time. Additionally, after joining the Router's WiFi network, I can access the Web Page of the Range Extender.

This shows that:

1. The Range Extender itself can access the internet.
2. I can connect to the Web Server of the Range Extender from my standard Router network.
3. However, clients that join the Range Extended WiFi network have no internet access.

I should add that I am only using the 2.4 GHz WiFi network on both units. The 5 GHz network is turned off on both. Also, the name of the Range Extended unit is 'Almond-Ext-2.4' -- not sure if any of this makes a difference, but I'll mention it for the sake of completeness.

Could this be a DHCP or other problem in Range Extended mode? Are you able to reproduce this problem in-house using the R085 firmware?

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:00:09 am by Casey_SJ »

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 11:30:59 am »
@ Casey_SJ

I just tested it one unit and it is working fine, let me do the test again with couple of units. Meanwhile, the only suggestion which I could give is performing a factory reset and setting it up in the Range Extender mode back, please try that and let us know.

Offline Casey_SJ

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 09:11:52 am »
I was finally able to get Range Extender working again, but I had to follow a slightly different procedure:

1. Power on the Almond+ and wait for boot process to complete.
2. Perform a Factory Reset (either by holding down the physical reset button on the top or using the software button).
3. After the Almond restarts, it will ask for Language and Region settings. I chose English and North America.
4. Next, I used the wizard (on the LCD screen) to set Range Extender mode, selected my router's WiFi network, and entered the password.

5. Now this is where things get strange: The wizard automatically selects a name and password for the range extended network, and activates both the 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz bands. The wizard also displays a button to let you modify these WiFi settings before they are saved. If you select this option and (a) modify the WiFi name or (b) turn off the 5GHz band, you will run into any of these problems:

(a) The Almond will crash and reboot, at which point you will be asked to enter the Language and Region settings again, and start all over.
(b) Everything will proceed normally, but clients (iPads, iPhones, Laptops, etc.) will be able to join the Range Extended network, but they will *not* get internet access.

But there is a workaround...

1. Do not modify the WiFi settings from the Wizard. Use the default settings and complete the wizard's setup process. Everything will work.
2. Now that the wizard is done, you can modify the WiFi settings by going into the appropriate settings panel manually. You can change the SSID and password.
3. However, if you turn off the 5.0GHz band, internet access will again be terminated! You must keep both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz bands activated.

Offline Casey_SJ

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 08:40:14 am »
Update:

There was a brief power outage in the area yesterday. Of the two Almond+ units that I have, the one in Router mode was connected to a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) and the other in Range Extender mode was not.

The Ranger Extender therefore shut down when power went out and started up when power was restored.

However, since this automatic restart, ranger extender mode is once again not working (same symptoms as before). Namely:

1. Range extender 'Diagnostics' shows that everything is ok.
2. Range extender can connect to Internet through the router.
3. But Range Extender will not allow any other devices to connect to Internet. Other devices can join the Range Extender WiFi network, but not connect to Internet.

I am going to repeat the whole factor reset and configuration procedure.

Something seems really wrong here. It should be investigated by Securifi.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 09:25:26 am »
@ Casey_SJ,

I would personally try to investigate this with at least 2 units and get back to you with an update.

Offline Casey_SJ

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 11:29:57 am »
Thanks Ashok. I look forward to what you can find out about this problem.

Also, if I learn anything more about this when I go through the factory reset procedure later today or tomorrow, I'll update this thread.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 12:51:13 pm »
@ Casey_SJ,

So far, what we have found the same issue on one of the Almond+ not connecting to the internet but rest all are fine. However, when we disabled the Range Extender and ran the setup again, it started working fine.

Offline Casey_SJ

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 11:13:51 am »
@Ashok,

I spent some time yesterday to recover my Range Extender. Here's what I found:
  • As mentioned before, after a power outage the Range Extender restarted, but clients could not connect to the Internet.
  • I disabled Range Extender from the LCD GUI (same as what you did in your last reply) and then re-setup Range Extender without changing any default values (such as default name of extended WiFi network).
  • Unfortunately, clients still could not connect to the Internet. So I rebooted the router, but this did not solve the problem. My iPad, for example, could join the extended network, but Safari stated that connection to the Internet has been lost.
  • I had no choice now but to perform a Factory Reset and start again from the beginning. I used the setup wizard to configure Range Extender and again kept all default settings.
  • Now I tried joining the range extended WiFi network with the iPad, but the range extender did not accept the WiFi password. I had to reboot the Almond+ (no other changes, just a reboot) and then everything was fine -- iPad could join the network and it had full Internet access.
  • Feeling lucky, I now tried to change the name of the extended WiFi network from "Almond+ 2.4_almond" to simply "Almond-Ext-2.4". A progress bar appears while this change is being saved. Before the change could be saved, the Almond+ suddenly rebooted. After the reboot, the new name was in effect and clients could join the extended WiFi network, but again there was no Internet access!
  • Feeling unlucky now, I just did another Factory Reset and repeated steps 4 and 5. So range extender is working with the default network SSID. But I am afraid that when the next power outage occurs or the unit is rebooted for any reason, I will have to go through Factory Reset again...
  • The previous firmware did not exhibit some of these problems.

Offline umqais

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 11:28:08 am »
I was finally able to get Range Extender working again, but I had to follow a slightly different procedure:

1. Power on the Almond+ and wait for boot process to complete.
2. Perform a Factory Reset (either by holding down the physical reset button on the top or using the software button).
3. After the Almond restarts, it will ask for Language and Region settings. I chose English and North America.
4. Next, I used the wizard (on the LCD screen) to set Range Extender mode, selected my router's WiFi network, and entered the password.

5. Now this is where things get strange: The wizard automatically selects a name and password for the range extended network, and activates both the 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz bands. The wizard also displays a button to let you modify these WiFi settings before they are saved. If you select this option and (a) modify the WiFi name or (b) turn off the 5GHz band, you will run into any of these problems:

(a) The Almond will crash and reboot, at which point you will be asked to enter the Language and Region settings again, and start all over.
(b) Everything will proceed normally, but clients (iPads, iPhones, Laptops, etc.) will be able to join the Range Extended network, but they will *not* get internet access.

But there is a workaround...

1. Do not modify the WiFi settings from the Wizard. Use the default settings and complete the wizard's setup process. Everything will work.
2. Now that the wizard is done, you can modify the WiFi settings by going into the appropriate settings panel manually. You can change the SSID and password.
3. However, if you turn off the 5.0GHz band, internet access will again be terminated! You must keep both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz bands activated.

I can confirm that I am having the exact same issue with the new firmware. I've done the exact same thing several times and ran into the same problems. Hence why I'm on the forum looking to see if anyone else is experiencing this. I am also having my saved set DNS change on me back to default from the modem, which is not what I want to use. Even with "Use DNS servers advertised by peer" unchecked and saved.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 03:48:37 pm »
    @ Casey_SJ,

• Feeling unlucky now, I just did another Factory Reset and repeated steps 4 and 5. So range extender is working with the default network SSID. But I am afraid that when the next power outage occurs or the unit is rebooted for any reason, I will have to go through Factory Reset again...
  • The previous firmware did not exhibit some of these problems.

I am sure, we shouldn't be facing any issues like that, try to reboot the Almond+ and then check the status. Meanwhile, I would try to check the same at our end.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 07:03:48 pm »
@ umqais,

I can confirm that I am having the exact same issue with the new firmware. I've done the exact same thing several times and ran into the same problems. Hence why I'm on the forum looking to see if anyone else is experiencing this. I am also having my saved set DNS change on me back to default from the modem, which is not what I want to use. Even with "Use DNS servers advertised by peer" unchecked and saved.

Are you referring to Router or Range Extender, because Range Extender mode it would carry the same DNS as your main router?

Offline umqais

• Backer
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 01:31:59 am »
@ umqais,

Are you referring to Router or Range Extender, because Range Extender mode it would carry the same DNS as your main router?

For the DNS part. I am referring to the Almond+ used as the Router (not the Range Extender). For a temporary solution I've set the peer's DNS to what I need for now until I get the Range Extender and Router thing sorted. The Router visually keeps the DNS specified that's saved but for some reason after some hours goes back to the peer's DNS even with  "Use DNS servers advertised by peer" unchecked. I tried a solution I found on the forums for setting it in the OpenWRT: https://forum.securifi.com/index.php/topic,2759.msg11986.html#msg11986  but it still seemed to use the peer's DNS after some hours. For now I have decided just to focus on the Router, Range Extender issue so as to not have too many variables in the mix. Reading Casey_SJ's posts is like reading my own post. I am running the exact setup as he is and not using the 5GHz band.
So far (knock on wood), I have not had to do a factory reset on the Almond+ used as a range extender within the last 24hrs because I did not have any reboots of the router etc. I don't know why it (range extender) refuses to be assigned an IP or refuses to have internet connection unless we do a full reset.  :-\
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 01:37:38 am by umqais »

Offline sandalle

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 02:55:09 pm »
Same issue here, as reported in https://forum.securifi.com/index.php/topic,4216.msg21404.html#msg21404 for reference. :)

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.

bottleneck