bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: How complex is your setup?  (Read 5960 times)

Offline matt

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
How complex is your setup?
« on: June 15, 2016, 02:33:16 pm »
Mostly posting this for @fillibar's benefit. Just my current setup, in case others are curious or want to post their own below for comparison/inspiration.

My setup has 4 in-wall outlet switches controlling 2 lamps, a master for my chest fridge, and one currently not in use (has been used for lighting in the past). There are 2 in-wall light switches for overhead lights, and 3 Link bulbs with shades in a 3-socket cable (on the same physical switch but individually controllable).

Then a peanut plug is connected to my 3d printer (which has remote printing/webcam), so I can shut it off at the source if there is a major problem or the remote interface stops responding properly (hasn't happened, just a fail-safe). It has served as a switch for string led lights in the past, as it shuts power off more fully than other devices.

Then I have 2 X10 socket rockets for back hallway and back door lighting (with an X10 motion sensor to turn them on/off), one X10 appliance plug for a lamp, one for an led strip light in a closet. Seasonally I have decorative lights and Christmas tree lights on one controller or another.

Finally I have 2 LimitlessLED RGBW bulbs in standing lamps.

All of these are connected to the A+ either directly or through my mochad port. I have 4 X10 remote controls (1 flush wall mounted, 3 on tables/stands) which can control all of the above. I can also control the above through a tablet which sits on a table on an inductive charger, but it is off as we never use it. It can also control the entertainment center, but again, we tend to prefer remotes.

Then I have a set of DIY contraptions, partially to see if I could, and partially for real use, but they are not connected to the A+.

I have a peristaltic pump connected to an arduino which controls watering small indoor plants on a schedule.

I also have 2 temperature sensors (indoor and outdoor) and a humidity sensor wired into an old raspberry pi, along with an IR blaster, which together control my AC unit (after learning controls from the AC remote control) using simple code and rules I wrote. I've had a few other DIYs in the past, but they are not currently in use: motion/window/light sensors, an in progress attempt at automatic blinds with a light sensor. Also have the parts for controlling an led strip via 433MHz wireless (controller, transmitter/receiver).

As mentioned, I have a webcam watching the 3d printer (for remote viewing and time-lapses), and an IP camera (not currently on, has watched pets and doors before). I have a fair bit of stuff home-theater related too, but none of that is particularly related (other than that it could be used as triggers or for viewing HA/webcam info).

I believe that's all for me, but I probably did forget something.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
Re: How complex is your setup?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 08:25:16 pm »
@matt:
Thanks!
You mentioned how you had a variety of things and it does sound interesting how you have integrated them. Do any of your in-wall outlet switches track energy use? In-wall outlets is one type of device I just have not gotten any of. Guess I have never spotted a sale for them, there are definitely places I would use them. They would make my exterior outlets a lot easier for Christmas decorations (this last Christmas I used 3 outdoor plug-in switches).

Glad you took the time to write this up.

On a different topic, what type of 3D printer do you have?
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline matt

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 05:19:07 pm »
@matt:
Thanks!
You mentioned how you had a variety of things and it does sound interesting how you have integrated them. Do any of your in-wall outlet switches track energy use? In-wall outlets is one type of device I just have not gotten any of. Guess I have never spotted a sale for them, there are definitely places I would use them. They would make my exterior outlets a lot easier for Christmas decorations (this last Christmas I used 3 outdoor plug-in switches).

Glad you took the time to write this up.

On a different topic, what type of 3D printer do you have?

Only the peanut plug shows energy use. I mostly have them because they were on sale at one point for $15 each (pretty much the reason I have all of my zigbee/zwave devices).

I have a Wanhao I3 clone (the monoprice maker select). Only slightly modded so far.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 07:30:52 am »
Mine is a very old (for 3D printers) and worn out Thing-O-Matic.

Most of my HA stuff has been because of sales or eBay, so there is not much consistency.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.