bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Slow temp polling with CentraLite 3-Series Temp & Humidity Sensor  (Read 6848 times)

Offline heghmohqib

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
I've been trying out a CentraLite 3-Series Temp & Humidity Sensor for a month or so and I've noticed the temperature isn't updating very quickly.  As a matter of fact, it's extremely slow.  My test setup is a power sensor/outlet with an A/C unit attached.  The idea is to trigger the power outlet at a certain temp.  Unfortunately, by the time the temperature updates for the sensor, it has already blown way past the target temp(s).  We are talking many minutes between polls.  It's difficult to catch it takes so long.

So, my question is whether it's the sensor or the Almond+ that is taking so long to poll.  As the Centralite sensor has no interface of it's own, I have to watch it through the Almond+.  This makes it seemingly impossible to determine which is the culprit.  Has anyone else tried this sensor?

Offline spooky123

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Slow temp polling with CentraLite 3-Series Temp & Humidity Sensor
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 04:39:52 pm »
Suggest also contacting CentraLite with the question, I found their tech support super helpful, very thorough and knowledgeable on questions with other products.

Offline heghmohqib

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 10:12:15 am »
Thank you for the suggestion.  I got a reply quite quickly.

"The temp/humidity sensor measures the temperature once every five minutes and updates accordingly."

That's painfully slow if you want to control a device based on temp/humid.  At least until we get <>.

Let this be a warning to anyone looking for fine control over such things.

Offline heghmohqib

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 10:38:50 am »
With the new <> functionality, I was able to do more testing with this sensor.  I had it sitting in my bedroom with an air conditioner running,  doors closed, regular (reliable) digital thermometer sitting next to it.  I also pulled the battery and reset the CentraLite thermometer.

Temp in the room started at around 77°F.  After a few minutes I had a temp of 75°F on both thermometers.  About 20-30 minutes later, the digital thermometer was at 68°F (I was getting cold).  The CentraLite thermometer still read 75°F.  Another 20-30min later, I checked again.  Still cold in the room.  The CentraLite thermometer had dropped to 74°F.  It wasn't until I woke up in the middle of the night, sweating and freezing at the same time, that I noticed the CentraLite thermometer had finally gotten down to 68°F.  Unfortunately, the other thermometer was at 65°F.  The Almond+ was set to turn the A/C off at or below 67°F, which it never hit.  However the A/C did go below it's set temp causing the compressor to shut off, blowing humid, outside air into my freezing bedroom.

For the following couple nights, I set the A/C shut off temp to 68°F.  And it would eventually shut off.  However, it never turned on again, despite the room temp going well above the temp it was set to turn back on (the CentraLite thermometer never got high enough to trigger it).

I'm kinda done with this thing.  Anyone have any luck with the other supported thermometers?

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 11:16:09 am »
I seem to be having decent luck with a few sensors (using them to control a ceiling fan). Although the device history makes them seem less responsive, but that may be due to their temperature resolution (noted in parentheses after each model).
Visonic Window/Door Sensor MCT-340 SMA (1.8F)
Vision Motion Detector ZP3102US (3.6F) this is also known as a Monoprice 10796
Linear Motion Detector WAPIRZ-1 (3.6F)

As always your mileage may vary. But our fan is on and off when we would expect it.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline heghmohqib

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 01:21:41 pm »
Pretty bad when sensors that have thermometer as sort of a side feature work better than a straight up temperature sensor.  I'll be sure to check these out.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 05:22:45 pm »
@fillibar good to know, I want to do something similar eventually in certain rooms.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 06:01:02 pm »
It is rather obnoxious how difficult it is to get a decent sensor that just does the job of... you know, SENSING environmental factors. In my book a dream one would be:
1) Minimum of temperature and humidity.
2) Minimum of 2F resolution.
3) Minimum accuracy if +- 1F (yes, it is OK if it only shows changes of 2 degrees, but I want to know it is reasonably accurate in doing so).
4) Minimum reading interval of 1 hour.

PLUSSES for me would be:
5) Other things like light level and sound level.
6) <1F resolution.
7) Accuracy +- <0.5F
8 ) CONFIGURABLE reading interval with ranges from 1 minute to 1 day.
9) Battery AND AC power options (preferably rechargeable battery when on AC).
10) IP65 certified so I can have the darn things outdoors also.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 06:09:37 pm »
I agree Filibar. To me it feels like many of those could be incorporated into other sensors which would be sooooo convenient (as long as they can be used as independent sensors / triggers). Motion / vibration would be great too as a truly functional multisensor. Speaking of does anyone use the new Aeon Waves multisensor? Its pricey but seems decent.

Offline heghmohqib

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 09:25:41 am »
Do you mean the new Aeon Labs multisensor (6)?  If so, I was wondering the same.  I have their first model which works ok but not great.  Was hoping someone would post something about the 6 as far as it's accuracy.  It's nice and small.  Though, due to the size, it uses uncommon batteries.

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 24 queries.

bottleneck