bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: default NTP servers are in Taiwan  (Read 3142 times)

Offline rmellin

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
default NTP servers are in Taiwan
« on: August 02, 2016, 09:58:00 pm »
Hi there,

am I mistaken that the default NTP server entries are located in Taiwan ?

I think thats a serious potential issue for users outside of taiwan as now your time relies on IP connections cross continents or oceans (latency etc). Since a good time service is essential for SSL and other uses I choose to replace the default entries with [0,1,2,3].pool.ntp.org. It might be useful for Securify to use a vendor specific dns entry on ntp.org or find a similar hosted NTP service.

I also wonder if my recent troubles of not being able to connect via WiFi is related to this, but time will tell :-)

In any case, I think its a good idea to replace the default NTP entries.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: default NTP servers are in Taiwan
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 07:05:39 am »
Those are the defaults yes. Securifi has an office in Taiwan and if I recall correctly was mostly started from there. So the default appears to have been based on what they knew. I do not know if that is something that would be changed going forward.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline mr23

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: default NTP servers are in Taiwan
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 12:09:09 am »
Hi there,

am I mistaken that the default NTP server entries are located in Taiwan ?

I think thats a serious potential issue for users outside of taiwan as now your time relies on IP connections cross continents or oceans (latency etc). Since a good time service is essential for SSL and other uses I choose to replace the default entries with [0,1,2,3].pool.ntp.org. It might be useful for Securify to use a vendor specific dns entry on ntp.org or find a similar hosted NTP service.

I also wonder if my recent troubles of not being able to connect via WiFi is related to this, but time will tell :-)

In any case, I think its a good idea to replace the default NTP entries.

I ran into a problem detailed on https://forum.securifi.com/index.php/topic,3685.msg21227.html#msg21227 this connection discussion thread and one of the steps I took was to change this ntp default. FYI.

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 25 queries.

bottleneck