bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Any feedback related to R089  (Read 33729 times)

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Any feedback related to R089
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2016, 03:55:05 pm »
So for those working the Sunrise, Sunset latitude issue, wouldn't the offset work?

Meaning, the difference between local and configured sunrise/sunset is always 30 mins or whatever?

As for weather, that's a little more involved.
Kickstarter Backer
Securifi Wiki Editor and Beta Tester, Not a Securifi employee
Almond+, many sensors, IOS App, Android Apps and Widgets

Offline BikerBob

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2016, 10:18:17 pm »
So for those working the Sunrise, Sunset latitude issue, wouldn't the offset work?

Meaning, the difference between local and configured sunrise/sunset is always 30 mins or whatever?

As for weather, that's a little more involved.

No, a user shouldn't have to mess around with offset just to get base sunrise/ sunset correct.  Sunrise/ sunset should be implemented to be correct for the router geographic location... as should weather if it is going to be reported on the Almond+.
Almond+ | Android App | Peanut Plugs | OSRAM Lightify LED/A19/DIM/RGB

Offline andersos

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2016, 12:20:01 am »
There's a thread from a year ago or more about the geographical issue where the weather display problem is already discussed,.
Weather wasn't so important for me, but sunrise(sunset is. So I'm really hoping this can be improved.

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2016, 01:02:37 am »
No, a user shouldn't have to mess around with offset just to get base sunrise/ sunset correct.  Sunrise/ sunset should be implemented to be correct for the router geographic location... as should weather if it is going to be reported on the Almond+.

I think folks are conflating issues incorrectly or I am misunderstanding some of the comments.

Timezone does not determine your weather location, nor sunrise sunset. Perhaps there is an issue w/ the A+ but I can't be certain based on the previous posts.

If the weather being displayed is not local enough for you, it may have nothing to do with the A+ and everything with the way your ISP and geoloc play together.

What does matter is how well the geoloc ip stuff is working for your location.

If folks want to msg / PM for more detail, I will work with you to see what your system has identified as your location and the related details on sunrise/sunset/weather/timezone.

We should take detailed discussion on weather/timezone/sunrise/sunset to another thread.

I will not work 'extended problem solving' in this thread as it would be too much of a distraction.

To give you an idea, use a tool like https://geoiptool.com and take a look at that info. If it is not specific enough to your location, it likely explains why the A+ isn't showing you what you might expect.

@bikerbob
@andersos

I sent you both PM's.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 01:08:28 am by SecureComp »
Kickstarter Backer

Offline Fire69

• Backer
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2016, 07:17:27 am »
That tool sets me about 100km from where I live.
Probably not a big difference for sunset/sunrise, but not usable for weather.
Maybe Securifi should implement support for Weather Underground. Those have local stations all over, I even have one in my street...

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2016, 11:18:07 am »
That tool sets me about 100km from where I live.
Probably not a big difference for sunset/sunrise, but not usable for weather.
Maybe Securifi should implement support for Weather Underground. Those have local stations all over, I even have one in my street...

PM inbound

Please check that your routing tables are up to date on your ISP provided equipment.
A reset of your local equipment can make a difference.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:20:36 am by SecureComp »
Kickstarter Backer

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2016, 04:20:17 pm »
The easiest solution, perhaps, would be a way to manually change your location (the almond's) if the automated ones are too far off, which would be universal (time, weather, sunrise/set).

Offline mr23

• Backer
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2016, 08:02:48 pm »
The easiest solution, perhaps, would be a way to manually change your location (the almond's) if the automated ones are too far off, which would be universal (time, weather, sunrise/set).

We should be given ability to specify a lat/long.

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2016, 10:12:51 am »
We should be given ability to specify a lat/long.

So far, the issue has been with autoip or geoip not providing the correct/best location of the user. This is an ISP issue. (which of course users don't care about, they just want it to work and rightfully so)

Most folks with the issue have requested the ability to specify a zip/postal code.   Add to that the ability to specify Lat/Long (varying formats), Country, State, City and you know have a bunch of input screens to work/validate, databases to talk/connect to.  I see that being a bit of a mess. Perhaps via the Web GUI as an option or the Cloud connection if it survives.

Maybe it would be best to put in a feature request and make some noise in that thread as the A+ autoip/geoip stuff is working properly?
Kickstarter Backer

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2016, 12:01:40 pm »
OK. So it looks like the DNS is not very reliable. I tried a ping running over the past 4 days using EMCO ping monitor. This is on a hardwired machine (not wireless). I don't see a pattern to the name resolution problems. But I will continue to look into this.

My next test is to include a localhostname to see if it's the Almond's DNS or my AT&T DNS

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2016, 01:00:30 pm »
OK. So it looks like the DNS is not very reliable. I tried a ping running over the past 4 days using EMCO ping monitor. This is on a hardwired machine (not wireless). I don't see a pattern to the name resolution problems. But I will continue to look into this.

My next test is to include a localhostname to see if it's the Almond's DNS or my AT&T DNS

Not a fan of these tests as they don't account for downtime or 'slow response' from the remote server(s). Often you are talking to cached servers through cached systems and there are all sorts of possible issues.  Run a script doing random IP to Name lookups and that would give you a much better idea about DNS vs stability of network routes.  Heck your PC doing a Microsoft update locally could hose the results completely.

Are any folks having an actual DNS issue? As in browsers kicking back errors?
Kickstarter Backer

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2016, 01:54:39 pm »
Are any folks having an actual DNS issue? As in browsers kicking back errors?

That's why I went and set this up. I was getting intermittent browser errors and I wanted data to show that.

I know there are many reasons that this is not the "ideal" , but its good enough. It still doesn't explain why before R089 when I run this for 4 days I had no error and after R089 there are so many errors. I am fairly certain if I downgrade my firmware these numbers would be much better.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2016, 05:21:27 pm »
I have been having intermittent issues as well. I have corrected for any interference and that doesn't seem to be an issue. Has only been since the latest update, before that I was experiencing some wifi interference but adjusting the channels corrected it.

Offline Zexon83

• Chestnut
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2016, 06:54:41 pm »
@Ashok Any word on the Websocket issues?
It could be possible, will update the status by tomorrow.

Offline BikerBob

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2016, 11:19:33 pm »
So far, the issue has been with autoip or geoip not providing the correct/best location of the user. This is an ISP issue. (which of course users don't care about, they just want it to work and rightfully so)

Most folks with the issue have requested the ability to specify a zip/postal code.   Add to that the ability to specify Lat/Long (varying formats), Country, State, City and you know have a bunch of input screens to work/validate, databases to talk/connect to.  I see that being a bit of a mess. Perhaps via the Web GUI as an option or the Cloud connection if it survives.

Maybe it would be best to put in a feature request and make some noise in that thread as the A+ autoip/geoip stuff is working properly?

I don't know how my ecobee3 thermostat does it, but it (I don't input anything [zipcode, city, lat/long, etc.] identifying where I live) but it somehow via WiFi determines that I live in Marion, IA and reports the weather conditions here... though maybe a few hours late.
Almond+ | Android App | Peanut Plugs | OSRAM Lightify LED/A19/DIM/RGB

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 17 queries.