Choose style:

Author Topic: Garage tilt sensors  (Read 5600 times)

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Garage tilt sensors
« on: September 02, 2016, 01:30:06 pm »
Was thinking about buying a garage tilt sensor (for garage doors to monitor, offers no control) for use on my basement bilco doors. These are obviously large pieces of metal and swing on an angle rather than tilt all the way like a garage door. Does anyone have any experience with these device types and do you think it might work? Thanks!

Offline lmmmmm

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Garage tilt sensors
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 01:57:07 pm »
I have the monoprice version on my garage door and it works fine with the A+.

I'm not sure how much tilt is required to activate but it might work for you. As long as the doors are not exposed to the weather.

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 04:38:45 pm »
Nice timing. I was just messing about with my garage door tilt sensor, so I thought I would show you their sensitivity (or lack of). Here's a video. See the status in the background https://vid.me/RGvs

Not sure how you can use with bilco doors though. I don't know if we can change the normally open to normally closed with Almond+ . If you stick it under the basement door on the inside, it will always show as open and when you open the doors, it would show as closed. You could theoretically keep it outside and the operating temperature according to the website is pretty generous, but then you would have condensation that might affect it.

Oh and if you want to buy these, now might be a good time. They are just under $20 today - http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=11987

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 05:48:52 pm »
@Immmmm and @d.kiran thanks for the info. Looks like it has to go quite far to trigger. I could probably make an easy mount to hold it under the door at the angles needed to make it work but I was looking for something quick and easy so I think I'll hold off for the time being. I have a door sensor on the door at the bottom of the bilco steps anyway. Also, there is also a coupon for monoprice for today for those interested. $5 off $25 = BBQ5 and $20 off $100 = BBQ20.

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.