Choose style:

Author Topic: Pre-sale wired access point question  (Read 7496 times)

Offline vikewings

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Pre-sale wired access point question
« on: September 03, 2016, 06:55:26 pm »
I'm considering an Almond product to extend the wifi range in my two-story home.  I have a Netgear C6300 cable modem/router on the lower level where the cable service comes into the house.  There is one ethernet cable from that Netgear C6300 up to my second floor office where it goes into a Netgear GS108 8-port gigabit switch.  I would like to plug in device to that 8-port switch and configure it as a wired access point using the same SSID as the C6300 so that second floor devices can seamlessly and more reliably connect to the wireless network.  The C6300 downstairs sometimes seems weak on the second floor presumably because of some ductwork that runs right above it downstairs. 

First question - Will the Almond products work in this scenario?

Second question - Which Almond product would offer the best overall performance that at least matches the C6300 (e.g., dual band 2.4 and 5GHz, throughput speed, etc.)  It appears that a new Almond product is due out soon and just wondering whether it's worth waiting for it.

Third question - What makes Almond different/better than a "run of the mill" Netgear router that can be configured as an access point?

Thanks!

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Pre-sale wired access point question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 07:20:14 pm »
@ vikewings,

First question - Will the Almond products work in this scenario?

Second question - Which Almond product would offer the best overall performance that at least matches the C6300 (e.g., dual band 2.4 and 5GHz, throughput speed, etc.)  It appears that a new Almond product is due out soon and just wondering whether it's worth waiting for it.

Third question - What makes Almond different/better than a "run of the mill" Netgear router that can be configured as an access point?

Thanks!

-- The best part about our devices is, you can use them either as a Router or Range Extender (wireless) or as an Access point (hardwired Range Extender). In your case, Access point would be the best choice by running the SSID and password same as your main router (Netgear).

-- Almond+ would be the best choice for you considering the hardware of your main router (Netgear).

--  Apart from using the Almond+ as an Access point, you can use it as a Home Automation Hub.

Offline vikewings

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 01:23:33 pm »
Thanks for the helpful information.

Regarding Almond+ vs. the upcoming Almond 3... it looks to me like the Almond 3 has more features and is less expensive.  Is there a particular reason that you recommend the Almond+ instead of the Almond3 for my use case?

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 03:33:34 pm »
@ vikewings,

Thanks for the helpful information.

Regarding Almond+ vs. the upcoming Almond 3... it looks to me like the Almond 3 has more features and is less expensive.  Is there a particular reason that you recommend the Almond+ instead of the Almond3 for my use case?

Almond+ is AC1750 Router/Range Extender, where as Almond 3 is close to 1200 Mbps and hence, Almond+ would be more perfect match for you in this case.

Offline vikewings

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 09:50:27 am »
Two more questions... So when I configure Almond+ as an access point, obviously I want devices to connect to whichever device (main router or access point) offers the best wifi signal at any given location in my house. I understand that this requires me to set the SSID on the Almond+ to match the SSID on my main router.  Can I do this for for both bands (2.4GHz and 5GHz) on the Almond+ (e.g., "MyWifiNetwork" and "MyWifiNetwork-5G")? 

Second question:  How must I configure the channel selection on the Almond+ as an access point?  If I have set the C6300 cable modem/router to use a specific channel on each band, must the Almond+ also be configured to use the same channel on each band?  Or must both devices be set to "auto" mode for channel selection?

Thanks.   

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 04:09:47 pm »
@ vikewings,

Two more questions... So when I configure Almond+ as an access point, obviously I want devices to connect to whichever device (main router or access point) offers the best wifi signal at any given location in my house. I understand that this requires me to set the SSID on the Almond+ to match the SSID on my main router.  Can I do this for for both bands (2.4GHz and 5GHz) on the Almond+ (e.g., "MyWifiNetwork" and "MyWifiNetwork-5G")? 

Second question:  How must I configure the channel selection on the Almond+ as an access point?  If I have set the C6300 cable modem/router to use a specific channel on each band, must the Almond+ also be configured to use the same channel on each band?  Or must both devices be set to "auto" mode for channel selection?

Thanks.   

Yes, we can configure the same SSID's for Almond+ and C6300 cable modem/router. Leaving the channel on Auto would be the best choice for both the devices.

Offline SpecialEd

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 07:34:30 pm »
Curious... VIKEWING, have you done this and if so, how is it working out for you?

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 20 queries.