Choose style:

Author Topic: Any feedback for Alexa's Smart and Custom Skill  (Read 11523 times)

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Any feedback for Alexa's Smart and Custom Skill
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 10:18:16 pm »
@ d.kiran,

Yes, and we can create any Scene name we want and that should work with out any concerns.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 10:20:33 pm »
@ mparadis,

Ideally, it should still work and there shouldn't be any issues. However, please do disable the Dev and also the Almond skill and then re-enable it only Almond skill.

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 11:01:28 pm »
@ d.kiran,

Yes, and we can create any Scene name we want and that should work with out any concerns.

@Ashok - We cannot choose any name we want if we want to use Alexa/echo. There are a list of Alexa compatible names in the Almond App marked by a special icon. If I chose a scene name that is not in the list, then Alexa will not recognize that scene name. If Alexa could recognize any scene name then why is there a special icon in the app to show Alexa compatible scenes.

Therefore I am requesting you to add "Turn Off AC" or "AC Off" or "HVAC Off" to the list of scene names that are supported by Alexa.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 08:57:48 am »
@ d.kiran,

@Ashok - We cannot choose any name we want if we want to use Alexa/echo. There are a list of Alexa compatible names in the Almond App marked by a special icon. If I chose a scene name that is not in the list, then Alexa will not recognize that scene name. If Alexa could recognize any scene name then why is there a special icon in the app to show Alexa compatible scenes.

Therefore I am requesting you to add "Turn Off AC" or "AC Off" or "HVAC Off" to the list of scene names that are supported by Alexa.

It is not exactly true that only the Alexa compatible names which are provided by Almond app would work and others won't. The list what we gave is mostly used and meaningful scene names, so that it would be easy for a user to select rather than providing a new name. When we give a new name, the icon won't be displayed, but it would work just fine. Our testing team already it with the names which you suggested, they worked with out any concerns.

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 09:49:58 am »
@ d.kiran,

It is not exactly true that only the Alexa compatible names which are provided by Almond app would work and others won't. The list what we gave is mostly used and meaningful scene names, so that it would be easy for a user to select rather than providing a new name. When we give a new name, the icon won't be displayed, but it would work just fine. Our testing team already it with the names which you suggested, they worked with out any concerns.

None of those are working for me. Which channel should I connect to ? "Connected Dev" or the regular "Almond" ?

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2016, 01:01:24 pm »
Alright, so I removed both the skills from my Alexa and reconnected the Almond skill, not the dev one. Then it started working.

Also, the text in your app is confusing.

It says

"If you want this scene name to be compatible with Amazon Echo Voice Control, Click Next. If not, just enter the name in the Text box below and click Done" .

Don't you think this sentence is misleading ? It clearly says you need to select a scene name if you want it to be compatible.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 01:07:19 pm by d.kiran »

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2016, 03:22:31 pm »
I think those are the 50,000 ish that they had to submit for "confirmed function" or similar. Any scene name should work as long as the Echo can understand it.

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2016, 08:08:19 pm »
I think those are the 50,000 ish that they had to submit for "confirmed function" or similar. Any scene name should work as long as the Echo can understand it.

That does seem to be the case. However, the text on the App is misleading. It very clearly indicates that you have to click next and choose a name for it to be compatible with Alexa.

I think this has to be changed.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2016, 08:27:40 pm »
I agree with the text, I didn't read much into because I was aware of this limitation from the beginning but thinking like someone who wouldn't be aware of that yes it is definitely confusing.

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2016, 08:32:12 pm »
Since I am the only one having problems with Alexa, I guess this is a user error.

With the Dev channel, I was using "Turn On Family Room Light" and "Turn Off Family Room Light" without any problems. However, after removing that and connecting the new Almond Smart Home Skill, Alexa says that the Turn Off command is not supported by this device.

The only way I can turn on and Off the Dimmer switch is by saying "Alexa Dim Family Room Light to 50%" . Earlier, this command used to work in addition to "Turn on" and "Turn Off" . Why was this removed ?

FWIW, the device here is a Linear WD500Z dimmer switch. I have not changed anything except removing the Dev channel. At this point, I am unable to get the Dev channel connected back again.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 22 queries.