bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Device on network acting as Open Resolver  (Read 5727 times)

Offline bryan

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Device on network acting as Open Resolver
« on: September 27, 2016, 06:09:00 pm »
So I got this email from my ISP (Charter) saying that a device on my network is capable of a network-impacting DDoS attack, etc. etc. Yes, I saw the stickied topic about this very issue, and did a search for other topics on the issue. But they all say to make sure the firmware is updated. According to my router, the software is up to date (AL1-R201-L302-W34). What should I do? The email from Charter also says to "Consider disabling your DNS Proxy or Recursive Resolver in your router configuration settings." I don't have the slightest clue what that means. I'm not particularly tech savvy. This is just a home computer, and the only devices on the network are the computer, a couple of printers, phone, iPad, and Roku. What's this all about? Thanks.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Device on network acting as Open Resolver
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 07:40:52 pm »
https://forum.securifi.com/index.php/topic,2163.0.html

I would contact support they can help you out with your specific setup.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Device on network acting as Open Resolver
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 08:00:57 pm »
@ bryan,

So I got this email from my ISP (Charter) saying that a device on my network is capable of a network-impacting DDoS attack, etc. etc. Yes, I saw the stickied topic about this very issue, and did a search for other topics on the issue. But they all say to make sure the firmware is updated. According to my router, the software is up to date (AL1-R201-L302-W34). What should I do? The email from Charter also says to "Consider disabling your DNS Proxy or Recursive Resolver in your router configuration settings." I don't have the slightest clue what that means. I'm not particularly tech savvy. This is just a home computer, and the only devices on the network are the computer, a couple of printers, phone, iPad, and Roku. What's this all about? Thanks.

As long as the firmware is updated to R201, there shouldn't be any issues with the Open DNS. Try to perform a factory reset and if you are still facing the same issue then please do request your ISP to renew a different WAN IP for you, which should solve the issue.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck