bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Auto Switch - internet speed  (Read 3330 times)

Offline mav156

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Auto Switch - internet speed
« on: October 13, 2016, 05:28:52 am »
Hi

I am using the Almond has a extender and was under the impression when you go into a dead spot around the home Almond would auto switch to the Almond network. Am i right ? if so it does not do this unless you manually switch it yourself.

Also when i am on the Almond network my internet speed in around 15mg but on my isp provider network i get 50mg.

Maybe i am missing the point what the extender does please help.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Auto Switch - internet speed
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 08:10:45 am »
One point about switching between points is that some devices do not handle transitions well, some do. My LG G3 will drop the current area and then reconnect to the next... Most of the time less than a minute but it is aggravating when you are actively using it. I hear newer phones (including iPhones) often behave better.

As for speed... Do you have it connected via Ethernet cable or wireless? You will always see some decline with an extender (it is another step down the chain of devices) but a 50 to 15 drop seems extreme unless it was a distant point over wireless.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline mav156

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 08:14:42 am »
The ISP router is wired and my extender sits about 10 meters away in another room.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 09:55:50 am »
@ mav156,

Try to ensure that the Almond and main router name got the same name and password. Technically, any wireless range extender would not be able to give us the same speed as main router. Reason being main router gets the full bandwidth with out any loss of signals through cable connection, however, range extender receives the wireless signals from the main router, resulting with the signal reduction of about 40%. As far as the internet connection speed is concerned devices which are connected to the Almond, it would be slow compared to router because client devices would contact Almond first, then Almond would contact router to get the internet connection and same applies in the reverse order causing delay in time.

In your case, try to run the speed test at the Almond's location by connecting to the main router network and then compare it.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck