Choose style:

Author Topic: Parenting: Domain filtering for specific computers  (Read 4537 times)

Offline happycamper

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Parenting: Domain filtering for specific computers
« on: September 22, 2016, 04:50:14 pm »
Is it possible to set up some sort of domain filtering on a per computer (MAC address I assume) basis?

I have two young boys and they each have a tablet and a chromebook.  I'd love (especially on the Chromebook) to have a handle on what sites they can access.  I've tried doing chromebooks as a supervised user but this is not tenable as they can't have any Chrome apps or extensions installed if they're supervised (making things like the stop-motion app unavailable.)

Is there a way to setup the router to do domain filtering for some addresses and not others?   (I could settle for filtering all computers except for individually specified ones, but I don't want to leave those exposed outside of any firewalls...)

Optimally, I'd rather open up specific sites and block the rest than block some and open the rest...

Probably covered somewhere, but if anyone could give me a pointer I'd appreciate it.

Offline bagard49

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Parenting: Domain filtering for specific computers
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 12:13:40 pm »
I have the same question. I have a son who I want to block his Chromebook from being able to use any internet at night. I caught him sneaking his chromebook and stayed up most of the night last night playing on YouTube. 2nd time he has done this.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Parenting: Domain filtering for specific computers
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 06:11:54 pm »
The Almond does not have this ability but there are some restrictions possible on their newer devices I believe. I don't use the features so I do not know exactly how they work. The Almond+, Almond 2015 and Almond 3 (release pending) have much more up to date functionality.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.

bottleneck