Choose style:

Author Topic: Nest Protect  (Read 5748 times)

Offline RichardS

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Nest Protect
« on: November 19, 2016, 05:05:21 pm »
I'm new to Almond and to HA. I pre-ordered the Almond 3 and a Nest Protect on Amazon back in August. Obviously, the Nest Protect arrived much sooner, and I put it into service with my pre-existing network immediately.

My Almond 3 arrived yesterday, and I set it up as a range extender just temporarily to function test and get a feel for it. It connects to the internet like it should, and accepts connections from computers, media devices, and smartphones/tablets just fine. I reset the Nest Protect, and connected it to the Almond 3. It connects to the Nest account and passes all it's system tests. The Almond 3 doesn't register it as being connected, neither on the screen UI or on the app.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Nest Protect
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 05:11:45 pm »
The Nest ecosystem is very restricted about what it shares with other systems. I am not sure what information the Nest Protect shares with the Almond system as I don't use it. I am aware that the Nest Thermostat shares a bit more control than it used. Hopefully someone will be along shortly that has used it more extensively.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 07:01:47 pm »
You need to link your Nest account to your Almond. Go to the devices page on the Almond 3's internal website. Go to Add, Add Nest Account. Follow the instructions and it will add your Nest devices in as HA devices.

HOWEVER... The Nest Protect will not be able to be used for much. Securifi is allowed to show the current status for the device only, but Nest will not allow them to use it for any Rules or anything else. They have completely restricted it. The Nest Thermostat allows for much more control, but not the Protect. I have been very disappointed with Nest on it. But it is not anything Securifi has any control over.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline RichardS

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 08:01:52 pm »
Thanks, fillibar. The option just wasn't accessible with my Android app. Going through the web interface did the trick.

It shows:
- smoke alarm status
- CO alarm status
- network connection status
- battery status
- device name
- device location

As you were saying, one still needs the Nest app to issue any instructions to the Nest Protect.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 09:07:20 am »
Well, you could do some workarounds via IFTTT. I bought a 1st Gen Nest Protect SPECIFICALLY for the sensors and figuring i would link it into my Almond+ (at that time) for triggering Rules. Securifi worked on it, but then Nest locked out the ability to do such things. It was... a disappointment. Still and all, it still seems like the best "smart" Smoke/Carbon Monoxide detector. If they came down a bit more in price I would probably buy more (especially since we just replaced two carbon monoxide detectors, at $30 each, and they are not smart or do anything more than CO).
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 16 queries.