bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Number of concurrent 2.4GHz Clients?  (Read 5754 times)

Offline Vapian

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Number of concurrent 2.4GHz Clients?
« on: November 22, 2016, 06:48:18 pm »
Sorry for repost from General thread - Somehow I missed seeing this Almond 3 thread when I posted that.

I have a fairly large number of clients, currently 111, most of which are "smart home" / automation / IoT clients that only use 2.4 GHz (because reasons?). These clients are all over the place in a house with two floors of about 2,000 square feet each. Based on the information available I'm guessing this would take anywhere from three to four Almond 3 units to provide full coverage. While the various control and automation features of the Almond 3 seem appealing, the number of clients in any one area of the house can vary quite a bit.

So, I'm wondering: What is the maximum number of concurrent 2.4 GHz 802.11b/g client connections that is supported by each of the Almond 3 units?

Although I am aware of one that claims to support up to 127 such connections, for many wireless residential networking routers, extenders or AP's the number seems to be 32. I just want to be sure that if I committed to Almond 3 for the various other features and functions it offers compared to the competition, that I wouldn't have to install five or six of them just to support a couple of areas with an unusually high concentration of clients.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Number of concurrent 2.4GHz Clients?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 08:58:03 am »
@ Vapian,

As you are already aware that one AP would support 32 parallel connections, you can connect up to 96 on 2.4 GHz and 96 on 5 GHz through Almond 3 Bundle package, however, please note that if you are roaming from one AP to another which already has 32 clients there might performance issues. Your scenario requires at least 4 Almond 3's. 

Offline spooky123

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 10:40:13 am »
@Vapian, depending on what you see for growth, you might want to consider something like the Ubiquity to use as wireless access points which generally support 250+ clients. Check out their pricing on Amazon and web site under enterprise wireless, they are rather cost effective.

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 02:19:26 pm »
... consider something like the Ubiquity to use as wireless access points which generally support 250+ clients.

Do you have a reference for this figure?

I did some reading on concurrent connections just yesterday and found several mentions of UniFi APs supporting 100. I didn't read any Ubiquiti docs, just forums and such.

Radio count and bandwidth used by the client also play a big part into what's possible. One AP may handle 100 clients not doing a whole lot, but only provide a decent experience for 30 "busy" clients.

Seems that most IoT devices, except for maybe video cams, would be light on the bandwidth usage, so without the cameras the high end of concurrent connections could be made and the experience would be good.

Offline spooky123

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 08:26:27 pm »
@grouter... sorry, I misread this spec under traffic management....
https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/unifi/UniFi_AC_APs_DS.pdf

I no longer find a FAQ that used to exist on their site and us referenced in this old thread on max clients being 127 per radio times 2 radios for 254 - https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/max-number-of-clients-per-AP/td-p/933178

Yes, I agree on the client workloads. I have some experience in offices using residential units and other offices on older Cisco 1200 business units where as client associations approached the max spec, overall performance degraded even with some clients not having ongoing or large workloads - ie, just approaching max active associations degraded performance. It was standard rule of thumb on Cisco APs with a max spec of 30 to downgrade the config towards 15-20.

For 100+ clients, my personal opinion is load no AP greater the 80% and accounting for general workload and additional future devices, my starting point would be towards 50% load per AP.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck