Choose style:

Author Topic: Mesh Network vs. multiple access points?  (Read 16977 times)

Offline litzdog911

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Mesh Network vs. multiple access points?
« on: November 23, 2016, 12:30:31 pm »
Greetings!

I installed my Almond3 earlier this week as an Access Point connected to my existing home ethernet network.   I just ordered two more Almond3 so that I can replace my existing older WiFi access points and have three Almond3s to cover my entire home. 

I understand that in order for these three Almond3s to be a "mesh network", one of them needs to be configured as my router, correct?  I can do that, reconfiguring my FIOS gateway/router as just a gateway and using one of my Almond3's as my home network router.   But before I do that, can someone summarize the advantages of a "mesh network" configuration vs. just have three Almond3 access points connected to my existing FIOS gateway/router?   I have ethernet throughout my house, so each Almond3 will have a hardwired connection. 

Thanks in advance!

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Mesh Network vs. multiple access points?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 03:54:04 pm »
I can say one nice thing about the mesh setup is if I make a change on the main almond3, all the other units update themselves. So if I change the wifi password I only have to change it on the main unit.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 06:24:47 pm »
Newer WiFi client devices will roam between meshed networks without disconnecting which also means when you get move closer to one of the units it will switch before it has to drop the signal of its previous connection. Changes are replicated automatically.
Setup is simple.

Offline cicorias

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 05:52:24 pm »
@litzdog911.

How did you get your Fios router/gateway to be just a gateway and how is it, if at all, connected to your Almond3?

Offline dsmking

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 05:39:34 pm »
I am in the process of figuring out which configuration I want.  I am encountering some quirks with the static routing and am considering keeping the old router for DHCP.  I definitely want to have 2 Almond 3s (basement and 2nd floor) with a potential third on the first floor.  All locations would have ethernet backhaul. 

Is it possible to have seem less hand offs between access points if a different device is the default router and doing the DHCP?  Can we mesh the Almond 3s together or not?  Or is there a better configuration for this situation?

Thanks,David

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 08:01:45 am »
The Almond 3s can definitely be meshed. Pick which one you want as the primary and get it all set up. Then connect the other(s) to the network. Since you have wired Ethernet that makes life easier.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline askcharlie

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 04:15:19 am »
Based on the behavior I'm seeing.  It does something frustrating. 

It seems if you "Join a Home Wifi System", which I assume to mean joining the mesh network, then it does so using wireless connectivity ONLY, even if you have the unit hard-wired.  So if you have a hardwire to say the upstairs that has bad WiFi, it's providing internet via the bad WiFi, ignoring the hardwire you put in. 

No matter what I've tried, it will always tell me that the interface for the 2nd unit is Wireless while the 1st unit that's hardwired to the cable modem says its interface is Wired. 

Ashok or staff... please tell me I'm wrong. but I can show you that the 2nd unit always shows its interface as wireless when in slave mode.

So it looks like the only way I can use wired for good solid connections to the Almond3's so they have good internet for their WiFi coverage is to set them up as access points, in which case, why did I get these again?

P.S. 
Doubt this is related to this, but there is a bug in the software that won't properly update the link status of any hardwire.  So if you, say had a cable in the WAN port and pulled it out, it'll still show plugged in on the status screen.  You can plug it in somewhere else and sometimes it updates, sometimes not.
::
charlie

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 10:18:00 am »
You can definitely set it up via wired mesh, when you set it up you select whether you want wireless or wired.

First make sure you have updated the firmware on each device then reboot each. If that doesn't appear to fix it I would reset the meshed unit and try readding it but make sure you select wired.

As for the issue with the port I have no suggestions but I would bet when you reboot it that'll be fixed. May be a bug as you mentioned.

Offline shinyplastic

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 05:01:24 pm »
Hi All,

Got my A3's in waiting for Christmas  ;)

Question, can you have some as wired mesh some as wireless?  I have 2 points with cables, but would like the third up high with wireless for the back yard?

Cheers.

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 05:46:25 pm »
Hi All,

Got my A3's in waiting for Christmas  ;)

Question, can you have some as wired mesh some as wireless?  I have 2 points with cables, but would like the third up high with wireless for the back yard?

Cheers.
Yes, you can mix and match.

Offline ckelly33

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 10:54:38 am »
Right now, I have 3  Netgear Nighthawks (R7000) - one as a primary router with the other two changed (via Netgear software) to access points.  Two are located in the house (at both ends of the lower level) and the third is in an external garage several yards from the house.  All 3 are connected via a wired network (CAT-5) and broadcast the same SSID on 3 separate/distinct channels.

Would I get an advantage to using a mesh network over what I have?  I bought the Nighthawks because of fast wireless speeds and longer range).

I am curious about the newer mesh networks.  Would I see any improvement or downgrade in performance if I chose to replace my Nighthawks with one of the mesh networks (such as Google's)?

Thanks.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.