bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Almond+ vs Almond 3  (Read 11049 times)

Offline dynamite149

• Acorn
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Almond+ vs Almond 3
« on: November 25, 2016, 11:26:17 pm »
If I don't necessarily need the Siren or Mesh Network features, is there a reason to get an Almond 3 over the Almond+?

The big differences I see looking online is this.  Is there anything I'm missing, is the Almond 3 a more advanced router in any way aside from the mesh network?
- Almond 3 has a Siren, Mesh Network functionality
- Almond + has 2 more ethernet ports, faster wifi

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Almond+ vs Almond 3
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 11:36:24 am »
Almond 3 does not have integrated Z-Wave like Almond+. But, it can use a Z-Wave USB dongle, including Z-Wave Plus which is newer than what the Almond+ has.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline spooky123

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 12:13:03 am »
What chipset is the Almond 3?

Essoh

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 06:36:16 am »
Almond 3 (with mesh network and siren) is cheaper vs Almond+ if you have to choose which one to buy.

Offline Frozen

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 03:38:06 pm »
Actually the Almond + is on sale at Amazon for 129.99.  The Almond 3 is 119.99.  I am in the market as well.  Really cool concept.

Here is what I have read as well.  Correct me if I am wrong. 

The Almond+ can operate a deadbolt and the Almond 3 can't. Don't actually know where I noticed that maybe it was in the compatible sensors with each device?  Who knows. I am sure I can find it again.

So, the Almond 3 has the Siren and mesh networking and no Z-Wave.  It can work everything else but can't work a deadbolt? 

The other reason I am looking at the Almond + is that it can be mounted on a wall.  That is kind of cool.

Why can't you add the USB add on for the Z-Wave Plus on to the Almond+?  Can you only add it to the Almond 3?  Just curious..

Thanks...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 03:41:41 pm by Frozen »

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 09:39:08 pm »
It would be a bit redundant on the Almond+, but I do not know if the firmware supports it. As for the deadbolt, I would imagine that is temporary at best, assuming it is not just a Z-Wave thing.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline ITAsmar

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 02:17:23 pm »
Actually right now the Almond+ is actually CHEAPER than an Almond 3?
https://www.securifi.com/products

At time of posting $150 for an Almond 3 and $120 for an Almond+

I'm deciding between them as well. I mainly want the home automation hub, which both support.  The "+" is definitely better hardware (AC1750 router with more antennae) and may be my choice since replacing my core router.  I'm currently using an AC router for a 2 story townhouse. With N routers in the past, connectivity to the furthest upstairs bedroom (mine) was flakey at best. With AC, I don't need a wifi extender to get a decent signal upstairs.

Wifi mesh isn't necessary with my current setup, but say I move to a bigger place, not a NECESSITY either, as I could configure a regular wifi extender with the same SSID if needed. (With my N setup, I used an original Almond as an extender, but I didn't like that I lost the 5Gz band on the extender).

The siren is again another 'nice to have' but with my wife already eyeing a smart deadbolt (don't think directly talk to the Almond...have their own app) again, not a necessity. Could always DIY that feature on the Almond+. Could be a fun simple home automation project.

Definitely leaning towards the Almond+

Actually the Almond + is on sale at Amazon for 129.99.  The Almond 3 is 119.99.  I am in the market as well.  Really cool concept.

Here is what I have read as well.  Correct me if I am wrong. 

The Almond+ can operate a deadbolt and the Almond 3 can't. Don't actually know where I noticed that maybe it was in the compatible sensors with each device?  Who knows. I am sure I can find it again.

So, the Almond 3 has the Siren and mesh networking and no Z-Wave.  It can work everything else but can't work a deadbolt? 

The other reason I am looking at the Almond + is that it can be mounted on a wall.  That is kind of cool.

Why can't you add the USB add on for the Z-Wave Plus on to the Almond+?  Can you only add it to the Almond 3?  Just curious..

Thanks...

Offline Dudeness30

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 02:06:51 pm »
I am waiting for the next model of Almond+, and it is NOT Almond 3. Maybe Almond+S. Zwave plus can be added, chipset and software upgraded and fix the shortcomings of the Almond+. At this point neither device is what I want. I do have 2 Almond+ units tho. Who here wants a new Almond +, instead of Almond 3 or 3s, or 4.
Almond+, 2 flood sensors, 1 motion sensor, 1 Z-wave water valve, 2 Aeon Labs DSC06106-ZWUS - Z-Wave Smart Energy Switch, 1 Enerwave ZWN-RSM1S Z-Wave Relay, 1 GE Z-Wave Outdoor Module, 1 Enerwave ZWN-RSM2 Z-Wave Smart Dual Relay,

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 17 queries.