Choose style:

Author Topic: Connection drops intermittently  (Read 6647 times)

Offline rehberg

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Connection drops intermittently
« on: November 26, 2016, 03:34:17 pm »
Hi,

I installed the Almond 3 about four days ago, and ever since I have been having significant issues with devices staying connected.  I am currently using one unit as a router (2nd floor, where the cable modem is), and another as a range extender (1st floor).  The firmware was updated on both devices right after setup.  On 2.4 gHz I am using channel 11, which has the least interference in my neighborhood.  Ever since setting up, I've been experiencing the following:

1. intermittent connection drops on tablets and laptops.
2. I have 4 Nest cams in our house, each of which now drop connection several times per day (I've gotten 63 dropped notifications since installing).
3. Our Nest Protect smoke alarm won't connect to the new router, and it's in the same room.
4. Our Sonos speakers keep dropping connection intermittently (no music, and sometimes can't find the network altogether.
5. Our DirecTV receiver keeps losing connection to the router.

We've tried changing the following, none of which have worked:
1. Tried different WiFi channels (including 1, 6, and 11).
2. Ensured firmware was updated
3. Reset both Almond devices
4. Reset modem, then reconnected Almond

We never had any of these issues at all with our previous router.  Any ideas?  We're frustrated and out of ideas and about to put our old router back in service.

Thanks in advance!

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Connection drops intermittently
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 04:45:37 pm »
Is it set up as a range extender or as a meshed network? It should work much better with the mesh. I would try that first.

Offline rehberg

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 01:00:57 am »
Forgive my ignorance, but how would I set it up as a mesh network?  I currently have one A3 serving as a router, and the other set up as a range extender.  The only options I see are "Range Extender", "Access Point", and "Wireless WAN."  Is Wireless WAN the mesh network?

I'm guessing I would have to disconnect/reset the 2nd A3 and set it up again, and it's not as simple as changing a setting on the main A3 being used as a router, correct?

Thanks.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 10:15:00 am »
@ rehberg,

Forgive my ignorance, but how would I set it up as a mesh network?  I currently have one A3 serving as a router, and the other set up as a range extender.  The only options I see are "Range Extender", "Access Point", and "Wireless WAN."  Is Wireless WAN the mesh network?

I'm guessing I would have to disconnect/reset the 2nd A3 and set it up again, and it's not as simple as changing a setting on the main A3 being used as a router, correct?

Thanks.

Please disable the Range Extender mode on both 2nd and 3rd, while going with the Wizard, it would give you an option "Join Existing Home Wifi System", please proceed with that and when you are prompted to put Primary Almond 3 in pairing mode, tap on Add Almond through the touch screen and complete the setup accordingly. You can do this via App also.

Offline rehberg

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 10:04:30 pm »
Thanks.  One more question - If I switch to a mesh network setup, can I still use the LAN ports on the units that are not the router?  And if not, is it possible to add one unit as a mesh, and another as a range extender? I need to have the ability to plug in to at least one of the additional devices.

Appreciate your help.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 11:17:25 pm »
@ rehberg,

Yes on the secondary and third unit, we can use all the ports for connecting hardwired devices with out any concerns and no need to setup one under Mesh and another as Range Extender.

Offline grokinla

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 10:46:57 pm »
Can you create a mesh with older Almond? I have one A3 and one A.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.