Choose style:

Author Topic: Echo Help?!  (Read 7056 times)

Offline scroder

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Echo Help?!
« on: November 26, 2016, 10:49:52 pm »
I thought I had this figured out, but maybe I don't and its a simple fix that someone can help me with. I am using the Almond smart home and skill on my Echo and it originally picked up all my devices minus my garage door opener. I have a GE Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control Outdoor Module I use for some lights on my Pergola. On my Almond its called Pergola Lights and the Echo gets it just fine.
Fast forward to this week and I picked up 2 more GE control modules to plug in some Christmas lights. I named them Decorations 1 and 2 and my Almond controls them fine. My Echo will not discover them. I have a scene in the Almond I want to do with my Echo but obviously can't because it doesn't see the 2 of them. I have reset both devices and removed all devices on the Echo and added them back but the 2 new modules still aren't seen. Any ideas??

Offline spooky123

• Backer
Re: Echo Help?!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 12:09:18 am »
For me, there were two different Almond skills to be added.... one was called Almond Smart Home that provided the individual device access and control. It too, did not import all my devices and also none of the scenes were available.

I then ALSO loaded the plain Almond skill (just says Almond, not Almond Smart Home) and that made the scenes available which then meant I could setup scenes in Almond to control devices that did not show up.

EDIT - By the way, I used scenes to also shortcut or simply wording for actions (at least that was my intent)... so for my purposes I had to have both.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 12:19:14 am by spooky123 »

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 10:53:49 am »
As for why the devices are not showing up I couldn't say. Like spooky stated you can download the regular Almond skill which is used for scene control. I will control any scene setup on your almond. This scene can picky with scene name. Almond when using the app will allow you to search a list of scene names that should work the best. One thing to remember with this skill is like other skills require a trigger word. So you would have to say "Alexa, tell Almond activate decorations scene."

You could also use IFTTT to trigger scenes. You can set up any trigger word and then select which scene to trigger. You would need a scene for on and off though, and would use the word trigger. So you would say "Alexa, trigger decorations on." If "decorations on" is the scene name.

Offline scroder

• Chestnut
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 03:55:33 am »
I have both the Almond Skill and Smart Home. I added the Almond peanut plug tonight for my christmas tree lights and did a refresh with Alexa and it picked it up right away. Still no sure why its not picking up the other 2 sensors though.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 08:23:33 pm »
@ scroder,

Let us know what are those other 2 sensors?

Offline spooky123

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 12:20:04 pm »
This might be a potential temporary work around for you....

As mentioned, I had some devices not show up via the Almond Smart Home skill.
I can't control these devices with "Alexa turn on Tree".
My work-around was two scenes in Almond.... scene 1 was called "Tree On" and in that scene I just have it turning on that Almond devices and scene 2 was "Tree Off" and in that scene I just have it turning off that device.
I found at that point, I had to have the plain Almond skill for scenes to work so I added that skill too.
Now, I can say "Alexa, tell almond to activate Tree On scene" and it works (I prefer to say "Alexa, activate tree on scene" but is seems to work only 50% of the time that way)
I do recall Echo did not like me naming scenes certain ways... like the 1, 2 thing you are doing and/or I tried to limit multiple syllable words/phrase. 
Even though the device is not discovered by Echo, it can still run the Almond scene and the Almond scene recognizes and control its fine.

Not ideal, I know, but as a temporary work around while you work with Almond support it might get you going. 

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 07:23:13 pm »
I've had more success with custom names using IFTTT, but that could just be me.

Offline spooky123

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 08:09:49 am »
I've had more success with custom names using IFTTT, but that could just be me.

Are you using the DO applet or ??

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 02:08:37 pm »
Are you using the DO applet or ??
Are you talking about the DO button app, that they have on like the iPhone. I think it is just being able to setup trigger buttons on your phone or tablet. If so I haven't really used it since it requires me to use control center on my phone and then push a button. I do have one setup to turn everything off though if I forget before I leave.

For the Echo I'm just using the regular IFTTT app, and site. I just setup a trigger word or phase and then choose which scene to activate. So for say Christmas lights I set the trigger word as Christmas On, then select the right scene from the list. To activate it I just say "Alexa, trigger Christmas On"

Offline spooky123

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 08:37:06 pm »
For the Echo I'm just using the regular IFTTT app, and site. I just setup a trigger word or phase and then choose which scene to activate.

Thanks, I over looked the trigger but found it now.

Offline scroder

• Chestnut
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 02:09:42 am »
@ scroder,

Let us know what are those other 2 sensors?

I have one GE Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control Outdoor Module plug-in I have labeled  pergola lights that works fine with alexa. I bought 2 more that I have christmas lights plugged into named Decorations 1 and Decorations 2. My echo does not see the last 2 modules. Makes no sense.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 08:37:09 am »
@ scroder,

I have one GE Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control Outdoor Module plug-in I have labeled  pergola lights that works fine with alexa. I bought 2 more that I have christmas lights plugged into named Decorations 1 and Decorations 2. My echo does not see the last 2 modules. Makes no sense.

Please do send us the log files.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 04:57:57 pm »
@ scroder, did you run discovery on your echo again?

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.