bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Zwave / Zigbee Compact Wall Switches  (Read 6889 times)

Offline spooky123

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Zwave / Zigbee Compact Wall Switches
« on: November 27, 2016, 01:03:34 pm »
I have a couple of tough locations for wall switches - mainly because there is a gang box of 4 switches.  As it stands now, its a tight fit for the switches and wiring (they are all 3-way's as well).

The zwave switches I have used in single boxes are larger than the old standard toggles which isn't a problem in a single box, but in a (4) gang I fear fit is going to be an issue.

Anyone aware of any compact or ultra compact zwave wall toggles that rival a standard toggle size?

Offline Baldo

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Zwave / Zigbee Compact Wall Switches
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 01:36:13 pm »
I've put three GE zwave switches in the same box. You may have to remove the inside fins. They are designed to be removed with lineman pliers. Snug fit but works well with some patience on installation.

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 06:44:20 pm »
I've also fit three GEs in a 3-gang box. I went ahead and cut out the original box and put in a deeper old work box and carefully plotted out the pigtail config. I ended up getting a couple of sizes of the copper crimp connectors and it worked out well. I would've never packed it all in using wire nuts alone. I'm pretty sure a quad setup is doable.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Electronics-14-8-AWG-Copper-Crimp-Sleeves-50-Pack-CPGI-CCS-14-8-C-50/205878599

Offline spooky123

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 08:32:10 pm »
Thanks, appreciate the info!

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 10:46:02 am »
If you are only replacing one switch and have some spare room in the back of the box. You could look at a microswitch that fits behind the current switch.
https://www.amazon.com/Aeon-Labs-DSC18103-ZWUS-White-AL001/dp/B008VWAPU4

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 08:17:29 pm »
I like the in wall relays as well. They make some pretty small ones now and some can actually work with two switches at once.

Offline spooky123

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 06:08:47 pm »
If you are only replacing one switch and have some spare room in the back of the box. You could look at a microswitch that fits behind the current switch.
https://www.amazon.com/Aeon-Labs-DSC18103-ZWUS-White-AL001/dp/B008VWAPU4

Thanks! Sometimes my ideas are bigger than the time I have... but..long term I want to replace them all.
I was hoping to do one at a time though..... since they are 3-ways, I believe I also have to also do it's corresponding "other" switches at the same time?

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 07:11:05 pm »
Thanks! Sometimes my ideas are bigger than the time I have... but..long term I want to replace them all.
I was hoping to do one at a time though..... since they are 3-ways, I believe I also have to also do it's corresponding "other" switches at the same time?
I couldn't say for sure or not. With the microswitch I linked you can control with the switch or your app so I don't know how that would play into a 3-way switch setup.

Offline Fire69

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 05:16:06 am »

I have a couple of Fibaro Dimmer2 that are cabled 3-way.  You only need 1 module (if you're lucky that the existing cabling is ok)
You can connect 2 switches in parallel (with something like this: http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/muVM9OpzZdbNILymxJFhIIg.jpg)
I suppose you can use this way of working with the normal Fibaro 2x Relays also.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.