bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Using the same SSID for both 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ networks  (Read 4034 times)

Offline Evan

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Using the same SSID for both 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ networks
« on: November 30, 2016, 10:09:48 am »
I just installed two Almond 3s in a mesh network and have been experiencing some issues that I've mostly found mentioned elsewhere. One thing I have not found relates to simultaneous use of the 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ networks.

As with previous routers I've owned, enabling both networks with different SSIDs produces a noticeable degradation in signal quality. I was a bit disappointed, because I was hoping this would be something Almond 3 would improve. I've found that, like in the past, giving both networks the same SSID and allowing devices to choose the stronger one has improved things.

The problem is that my iPhone has a different MAC address for each band (2.4 ghz and 5 ghz), which I assume is the same for all devices. This means that, depending on whichever band my iPhone connects to, Almond recognizes it as two difference devices. This, so far, has made using my iPhone as a presence sensor difficult, and I imagine it will have other implications. Does anyone know how best to handle this?

I also have a secondary issue where I use a virtual KVM between two of my computers, and they're not choosing the same radio to use. I'm not quite sure how to deal with that yet, either, or if there is something Almond can do to help.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: Signal quality still seems to be an issue with both 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ SSIDs being the same, so I attempted to turn one of the bands off. I haven't found a way to do that, however. I've looked everywhere in the web utility, on the Almond's interface, and in the iPhone app. I only see how to turn off the guest network. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 02:45:49 pm by Evan »

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Using the same SSID for both 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ networks
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 04:40:56 pm »
Personally I use a different SSID for 2.4 and 5. Just a habit I guess. As for the KVM I would say you probably need to find a way to select explicitly choose which AP you connect to, not sure how you'd go about this. Most interference issues etc shouldn't be present with the units set up in the Mesh setup, but could be present in the extender mode. I would check for other device interference perhaps and you may need to change the channel if that is the case (though it is quite simple to do).

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck