Choose style:

Author Topic: Almond Click  (Read 19668 times)

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Almond Click
« on: March 01, 2017, 08:06:25 pm »
Instead of putting everything in the preorder thread thought I'd start a discussion thread.
I really like these and am glad I preordered for the discount.
I like stickers, not sure what the Almond or Securifi one would be good for. On a different note I like Securifi security stickers with the Almond 3 three pack and would be interested in getting a few more.
I kind of wish more of the stickers had symbols on them but others will feel differently.
I like the size of the device.
Battery compartment feels a little loose but hopefully that isn't an issue.
It's a little smaller than I expected but that's a good thing.
With text alerts this would make an excellent sized alert pendant.
I had a hard time testing the long press event until I realized the LED goes out when you've held it long enough.
Pairing, removing very easy with simple directions.
Use in rules is very quick and responsive.
Working with Almond+, Almond 3 and Almond 2015.

Haven't tested with IFTTT yet.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Almond Click
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 08:25:08 am »
@ mparadis,

Thank you for the feedback, good to know Almond Click is serving it's purpose for you. As you mentioned, if we give some default use case symbols, others might have a different scenario.

Offline joltdude

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 06:55:15 pm »
I got the click button to be reconized and controls two hue bulbs...

Is there a way in rules to add or subtract by a set percentage to dim/brighten?

Anyone tried pairing it with Smartthings yet?

-j

Offline Frozen

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 10:55:23 am »
I got my order last night and they are pretty cool.  Just to add to mparadis post. 

The only thing I would add is that when I was adding my first click it didn't pair but did eventually.  Let me explain, the battery is just sitting on top of the components in the compartment and it get it to pair without hassle, I held the battery down (to make sure it's powered)  and when I hit the pair button on the other 2 clicks they paired instantly.  Also, the comment mparadis made about the battery compartment backing being a little loose is not worrying to me but it is what holds the battery to the battery compartment when closed.

I really like them and will have many uses for them around the house to do different things.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 06:24:47 pm »
My Clicks arrived this afternoon. After opening the fairly large Amazon box I was surprised by how small the actual Click 3 pack is. Even though I saw the pictures, it was tough to judge. In case it helps, the center circle is about the size of an American or Canadian nickel. In fact, if you have your own paper or stickers you want to put in the center, that is an excellent template.
As is my method, I did not bother reading anything and just tried to get things to work.
Results:
1) The first Click paired quickly and easily with an Almond 3 after I put it's batteries in, no problems.
2) The second Click paired quickly and easily with an Almond+, same as the first.
3) The third Click was not as happy. It failed association with the same Almond 3 as the first Click. It stopped blinking so apparently it thought it had gotten somewhere. I pulled out the instructions and reset it (took 2 tries to get it back to blinking). On the second attempt to add it, it acted just like the first Click and paired right away.

Trying them out:
One the LCDs they show up easily for One Press, Two Press, and Long Press. Although the Long Press seems to take TOO long.

In the Rules the options you have available are:
One Press
Two Press
Long Press
Low Battery
Tamper

These cover exactly what you would expect and work nicely. I was able to program some Rules for a light and had my daughter in the hallway pressing the button to watch it work. :)
There is a caveat to this... There is no "not pressed" state that it switches back to. So if you tell a light to turn on (if it is off) with one press, then turn off (if it is on) with one press... it will keep turning on and off because the Click will continue to say One Press until it is switched to something else.

Possible Improvements:
1) It would be nice if the Long Press time is configurable.
2) Why just one press or two press? That seems like it would just be a software change to recognize more on the Click and for Almonds to receive it... I would love 4. That way I could have on/off for a bedroom light AND on/off for the bedroom fan. All on one tiny little remote.
3) Packaging seems RIPE for a 4 pack.
4) Label the blue plastic double-sided tape... I did not realize what they were at first. Plus, to be honest, I doubt I would ever use them. Unless I was sure they were Command Strips (the stuff that will not damage paint on walls) there is no way I am sticking them on much of anything.
5) My girls asked for more colors in your circles... :) They thought the Securifi and Almond stickers were not necessary (I tend to agree with that) since they would not fit on a Click anyways. That would free up 6 more sticker spots (useful for that future 4 pack). ;)
6) It would be nicer if the batteries were pre-installed, with the little plastic pull-strips. Incredibly minor.
7) That tamper switch is tiny... a LITTLE bigger might be nice for the rare time you need to press it.
8 ) If you want a larger audience for these besides just Almonds for HA, you probably should remove the Requires section on the side of the box. Maybe tout how it integrates best with them... but having a line about "Can work with ZigBee controllers..." would be good. The Clicks could be really handy in general.
9) I recommend adding a "with IFTTT" to the "Track a habit..." or "Play your favorite track...". Those SOUND like they would be easy to do from the packaging, but they are not. Not unless you make changes to the Almond app themselves to allow that to understand device statuses and do more than just notifications... FEATURE REQUEST?!
10) I like that the Click in the instructions is "life size". Might be nice if the front of the box also had them sized that way, with one of those little "Shown actual size" notes below it. Just to show people how small they really are.
11) No lanyards/key chain rings (not even cheap ones) included, or able to be purchased as an option. Very minor.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline joltdude

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 12:20:48 pm »
I thought of finding some self-adhesive vinyl, preferably in glow-in-the-dark, and make button inserts out of it...
i like the sticker idea for identifying the buttons but i think theres gonna be a bit of a wear issue at some point...

Vinyl instead of paper would be cool, even if it was an add/on option...

-J

Offline joltdude

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 12:24:36 pm »
Has anyone made a device handler for SmartThings to support the Click... Was able to pair the click, but even after manually futzing with the device profile in the web ide, im not able to use the button...

(not my post but it applies)

https://community.smartthings.com/t/almond-click-dth/79935

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 09:01:38 am »
Click still proving handy to have. I do hope there is a way to have them (in the future) go back to a "null" state with no presses, on a configurable time (with one of the settings, possibly the default, being their current "infinite" behavior). It would really make it handy. In a sense they more act as 3 presence sensors, where only one at a time can be active. Useful for many things, do not get me wrong.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 10:57:21 pm »

These cover exactly what you would expect and work nicely. I was able to program some Rules for a light and had my daughter in the hallway pressing the button to watch it work. :)
There is a caveat to this... There is no "not pressed" state that it switches back to. So if you tell a light to turn on (if it is off) with one press, then turn off (if it is on) with one press... it will keep turning on and off because the Click will continue to say One Press until it is switched to something else.

Came here for a quick detour to post this. Haven't had lots of time at all lately to play much but I did test this out and was disappointed that it didn't return to state. I can see that causing issues for other rules too. Also would give 2x the number of possible triggers.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 08:42:53 am »
I did not realize it at first either. My daughter said something to the effect if "yes, it is doing... something..." when I asked if the button had turned on the light. Curious to what she meant I walked around the corner and saw it was getting brighter, then off, then on, then brighter... Over and over. The dimmer is not instant though so it was a fairly nice, smooth, effect.
I had added 3 Rules:
IF Light Off and Click One Press THEN Light 30%
IF Light = 30% and Click One Press THEN Light 60%
IF Light = 60% and Click One Press THEN Light Off

Oops.

Offline scroder

• Chestnut
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 11:35:48 pm »
Mine have been nothing but crap. I have one in my bedroom that I use as a 3 way switch to turn on some patio lights. It works for about 3 days then stops. It has been reset 7 times since I got it and now tonight it wont pair at all.

I have another one for use as an emergency button to turn on 3 different lights on smart switches in the house. Went to use it tonight, and nope not working. Tried to pair the the third click new in box and the Almond doesn't see it. Getting ready to throw these bunny things out.

Offline scroder

• Chestnut
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 12:22:35 am »
Well, I figured it out. Neither one of my Clicks work when my USB 3.0 external hard drive is plugged in. As soon as its unplugged, works fine again. I have had issues with the USB's since day one. I wish I would've exchanged it early on for one that works.

Offline Trunganh1131

YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 09:59:21 pm »
I think anyone has created a device handler to support clicks. I did and paired but still couldn't use the button

Offline scroder

• Chestnut
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2019, 08:45:20 pm »
Anybody have a click for sale? They are sold out everywhere and need one or two.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 18 queries.