bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Very basic mesh question  (Read 4113 times)

Offline Flyby

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Very basic mesh question
« on: December 02, 2016, 10:17:00 am »
Just got my trio of A3's and would like to set them us as mesh.  I'm having difficulty finding the protocol for doing that.

I currently have an Xfinity (Cisco) all-in-one.  My original plan was to keep this active and add the A3's as wired AP's, but since these can mesh, I'd rather do that.  From what snippets I can gather from this forum, my current Xfinity box has to be dumbed-down to a modem and an A3 used as the router/1st AP.  My questions;

[Does the Cisco box have to go modem only?  I haven't tried this yet, not sure if it is doable.

Should the first A3 be setup in a router mode?

Since I would rather be wired, do the subsequent A3's cabling make a home run back to the 1st A3, or can/should they be daisy-chained?

I haven't been through the entire UI but I didn't see anything explicitly mesh.  Is there a separate setup for mesh or does an A3 go mesh by default when it see it's siblings?

If there is a doc available for mesh setup I would appreciate a link.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Very basic mesh question
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 02:19:17 pm »
The best way would be to set you Xfinity in modem or bridge mode. Not doing so you would wind up with Double-Nat.

Set the first Almond up as a router. If you already have the first one setup your still good to go since you can start the Mesh network after it is setup, but is also an option during the initial setup wizard. As for daisy chaining them it may work I haven't tried it. During initial setup of a wired mesh you connect the second Almond directly to the first. After setup I do have one of my Almonds connected to a hub.

For setup.

If none of them have been setup. Plug in the Almond that is going to be your primary Almond and act as your router that you connect to your mode. During setup there will be and option to add more almonds select that and follow the on screen instructions.

If you already have been through the setup wizard on all of your almonds. I'd first make sure all of them have the latest firmware. Then select which one is going to be your router, and connect it to you modem. The other two Almonds need to be reset back to factory settings found under the settings menu. Then with those two unplugged go to your primary Almond and select on the home screen Add Almond and follow the directions on scree.

Offline Flyby

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Very basic mesh question
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 04:16:14 pm »
Thanks for your reply.  I will work on this tomorrow.

I wasn't sure of the place of the Xfinity in this so this helps to clear that up.  I'll also give the daisy chain a go and see what happens.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck