Choose style:

Author Topic: Linear WD500Z-1, Phillips Hue - Not Reporting Status  (Read 6699 times)

Offline SpicyRichter

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Linear WD500Z-1, Phillips Hue - Not Reporting Status
« on: December 02, 2016, 09:27:47 pm »
I posted this in the Almond+ forum by accident, looking around, this looks like a better place for it.

I can control the switch without issue physically, through the app and through the touchscreen without issue.
However, when I physically hit the dimmer, it doesn't update its status to the Almond+.
A similar thing happens with the Phillips Hue bulbs. If I turn the lights on with Siri it doesn't report the updated light status to the almond+.

I've tried power cycling the switch and the hue hub along with the almond to no avail.

It's an Almond+ running R089 (latest as of writing)

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 09:44:49 pm by SpicyRichter »

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Linear WD500Z-1, Phillips Hue - Not Reporting Status
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 01:47:41 am »

I can control the switch without issue physically, through the app and through the touchscreen without issue.
However, when I physically hit the dimmer, it doesn't update its status to the Almond+.
A similar thing happens with the Phillips Hue bulbs. If I turn the lights on with Siri it doesn't report the updated light status to the almond+.

Not sure about the Hue, but for the linear switches, this is expected behavior. The cheaper z-wave switches do not support instant status, which is how the switches tell the controller that they are turned on. I believe Cooper z-wave and Leviton ViziaRF are the only ones that do.

Offline spooky123

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 08:14:26 am »
Not sure about the Hue, but for the linear switches, this is expected behavior. The cheaper z-wave switches do not support instant status, which is how the switches tell the controller that they are turned on. I believe Cooper z-wave and Leviton ViziaRF are the only ones that do.

Here is a link on that....
https://www.zwaveoutlet.com/pages/instant-status-vs-polling

I don't think I've seen any manufacturers comment on the instant status other than Leviton who make both instant status and cheaper zwave products. Leviton calls it two way communication, I believe and say it is in the ViziaRF products but but the DZC series.

Oddly, I will have to test this because it has been a long time since I've manually activated a lamp, but I have a few lamp modules that are mixed manufacturers and I swear status gets updated when they are manually activated and I'm sure some of the modules are cheaper Linear Tech.

Is there any way to really tell spec wise if something supports two way or instant status?
Does the Almond+ ever do polling or is there a manual way to initiate a poll to get all status' updated?

Offline SpicyRichter

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 06:31:46 pm »
Thanks for the info guys, I didn't know there was a difference. Kinda uncharted territory for me. Luckily I'm just wiring a condo and am kinda just in the experimental phase right now.

The issue I'm having is that it never updates. I reboot the almond and it doesn't change status. Reload the page, doesn't change, etc. It seems like the almond doesn't poll ever. Only way I can get the correct status is by turning the light on and off through the router software.

Is there a list of model #s that will do 2 way comm?
The Leviton VRS15-1LZ Vizia RF is only $35 but only a switch - about the same price as WD500Z
The Leviton VRMX1-1LZ 1000W Vizia RF Z-Wave is a dimmer and it's only $36
The Leviton VRI06-1LZ Vizia RF+ is about $46

Searching Amazon for cooper z-wave I get Eaton switches
The Eaton RF9540-NAW ASPIRE is $50

I'm guessing the RF9540 and the Leviton RF+ are the instant status switches?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 06:43:16 pm by SpicyRichter »

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 11:18:00 pm »
The issue I'm having is that it never updates. I reboot the almond and it doesn't change status. Reload the page, doesn't change, etc. It seems like the almond doesn't poll ever. Only way I can get the correct status is by turning the light on and off through the router software.

This is a behavior change, but if you press the button twice, it will send a status update to Almond. So instead of pressing the switch once to turn it on or off, press the paddle twice.

And you're right, Almond never polls for the status.

Offline spooky123

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 12:53:08 pm »
Thanks for the info guys, I didn't know there was a difference. Kinda uncharted territory for me. Luckily I'm just wiring a condo and am kinda just in the experimental phase right now.

Is there a list of model #s that will do 2 way comm?

Sorry, I can't be of much help other than saying try to dig into the specs of the models and perhaps re-post to see if anyone else has used them.

I tested with my lamp modules and it does NOT appear the Almond gets the right status when manually activating. I have a mix of GE, Linear Tech, and Leviton branded ones.

Via a friend with a SmartThings hub, the GE zwave wall switches appear to update status in the SmartThing hub when manually activated and he has tested my Leviton lamp module and that too updates in SmartThings correctly on manual actuation.

So I guess for the sake of Almond operation, you'd want to try to ferret out a spec on the communication.

Offline spooky123

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 05:05:02 pm »
Not sure if this is helpful to anyone ...

First off, I am not an expert in this. I became more interested learning that some of my devices that do not update status in Almond when manually changed but these same items do update status in other controllers.

So I was curious why.

After some research, I found some information that say some devices broadcast an information frame when manually changed and that some controllers can receive, interpret, and/or trigger a status poll of the device when this happens. I saw a controller screen that showed a user setting up a trigger when an broadcast was received from a deadbolt to trigger a status scan, for example. So I'm guessing my modules send a broadcast when I manually change them which is why these other controllers update status... they must interpret that frame or upon receipt they do a status poll.

Oddly, certain devices I'd want to be certain to know the instant status update spec.... for example, zwave deadbolts, but I actually could find ones that are obviously labeled as instant status. (I didn't search super hard, but would have thought with deadbolts that would show that as an important specification.

So it seems to be more certain, you'd want to have items specified as instant status.

I am curious if Securifi can clarify expectations for Almonds operation in this area..... do the Almond receive info broadcasts, does it do anything with them, does that trigger a status poll, etc? Are there plans for Almond around any of these types of features? I don't know if this is a device by device thing within the Almond, but generally speaking, it would be nice to know if Almond is really only going to support items spec'd as instant status.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck