Choose style:

Author Topic: DHCP reservations  (Read 11387 times)

Offline spooky123

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: DHCP reservations
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 12:48:43 pm »
Second, I would have to say looking at commercial-grade gear. Cisco or such... I am by no means an expert though (although, oddly enough I do have a 48port gigabit PoE managed switch in the basement, so I am not a good example). Below is a link to an article talking about this type of thing. It is a bit dated, but the underlying concepts are still valid.

I have had older Linksys and Netgear units that supported 64 reservations so you don't necessarily need to go commercial grade, but finding out the max allowed by the device/manufacturer is not super easy to come by in consumer grade for sure. Also, I recall that on my older Linksys that number bounced both up and down at various firmware updates. The Ubiquity line of devices seems to have SOHO / Enterprise options at cost effective prices.  Obviously these don't have the home automation feature set.

Here is a recent forum link on the Netgear, just to provide supporting info, but its been a long time since I've used them.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Max-number-of-DHCP-reservations/td-p/505163

Offline joltdude

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 01:10:32 pm »
With certain devices esp serving up data to outside world.. having a fixed address is a necessity... and I still am of the belief that home automation hubs (cough HUE),,, secondary routers and APs.... printers, cameras, NAS, DVRs .. should ideally have a fixed IP so you can reliably know who they are on the LAN... where most things are still connected via NAT and the ip address is the address.. not a name..

DHCP reservation is fine for this purpose...
But saying only 20 addresses.. in a day where even your appliance might have an ip address..  Think its something that still needs to be addressed by future hardware and/or software..... Ideally this would be handled by IP6 addressing...

-J

Offline Shazster

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 05:54:44 pm »
Oh..I see they jammed up the Almond3 with a 20 address reservation limit too. I hoped they might have learned from the A+ & A2015...but alas no.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 08:20:25 pm »
Actually the 20 is an increase from earlier firmware. So that is an improvement there. I cannot really see appliances, even if every single one needed an IP, all needing to be STATIC IPs.

So I guess I should be saying, how many Static IPs do people need on their home network?

Personally, I have ~60+ network devices (and growing). I NEED a static IP on 4 of them at this moment, for port forwarding purposes (2 IP cameras, an Airvana Pico-Cell, and an aquarium controller). Even if I added in all my DIY projects with their integrated web servers... That would be another 12 or so. I think I would be at the high end needed 16. But I really want to get opinions.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.