Choose style:

Author Topic: DHCP reservations  (Read 11374 times)

Offline LTskier

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
DHCP reservations
« on: December 04, 2016, 11:09:12 pm »
Under Network settings, I'm trying to fill in some Statically Assigned MAC information for DCHP reservations, but when I click Apply I get "Unable to change settings in one of the Almond, Please update the settings from LCD UI".  But I cant' find such an option in the LCD UI.   
Software version: AL3-R012-64MB

Offline LTskier

changing DHCP start and end IP
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 11:12:42 pm »
I changed my default gateway address to the traditional 192.168.1.1.  Now when using my computer browser to access the Almond I'm trying to expand the DHCP IP range from 100-200 to 2-200, I get "Unable to change settings in one of the Almond, Please update the settings from LCD UI".  But I can't find this in the LCD UI.  Where is it?  Thanks.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: changing DHCP start and end IP
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 12:44:44 am »
This is actually a bug that should be fixed very soon, same as the Static problem you mentioned (thus I am merging the two threads).
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: DHCP reservations
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 09:34:37 am »
@ LTskier,

As fillibar mentioned, it will be taken care of with our next release. In fact, we released one Beta firmware which is being tested.

Offline LTskier

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 01:20:42 am »
Good news - thanks!

Offline dsmking

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 11:28:43 pm »
@ LTskier,

As fillibar mentioned, it will be taken care of with our next release. In fact, we released one Beta firmware which is being tested.

Hi, I just set up my Almond 3 this evening and I am trying to figure out how to do DHCP reservations.  The software version is AL3-R012-64MB after the update was applied.  Is that the version that should have the fix?  If so, where should I do DHCP reservations?

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 09:22:42 am »
The R014 update allows for the DHCP reservations (Static IPs).

Offline dsmking

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 05:41:29 pm »
The R014 update allows for the DHCP reservations (Static IPs).

I can now see the DHCP reservations section under network when using the Web UI.  I click the "Add Reserve IP," enter MAC and IP addresses, and then click Apply.  It takes a while but eventually returns to the network web page but there is no sign of an IP reservation.  However, if I reconnect it does appear to get my static IP so it appears to be working.

My questions are:

1) Is it possible to see the reservations and/or edit them?
2) If the limit is twenty what do people with lots of devices do?
3) Does port forwarding require static reservations?

Thanks,
David
Is it possible to edit a reservation

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 07:38:20 pm »
@ dsmking,

I can now see the DHCP reservations section under network when using the Web UI.  I click the "Add Reserve IP," enter MAC and IP addresses, and then click Apply.  It takes a while but eventually returns to the network web page but there is no sign of an IP reservation.  However, if I reconnect it does appear to get my static IP so it appears to be working.

My questions are:

1) Is it possible to see the reservations and/or edit them?
2) If the limit is twenty what do people with lots of devices do?
3) Does port forwarding require static reservations?

Thanks,
David
Is it possible to edit a reservation

Please clear the browser cache and then check or if it is Google chrome browser try it on "incognito mode", we should be able to see the static IP reservations. It is better, if we give static IP for devices which require port forwarding. You can directly edit the Mac address or IP address for editing the existing reservation. 

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 08:10:45 am »
@dsmking:
Ashok answered about viewing them and editing.
People with more than 20 NECESSARY static IPs probably would not want a home router as the core of their network, but if so... 20 is the limit for now. They raised that as is.
For port forwarding... Technically it does not need a static IP,  but I would not recommend it otherwise. If a device is on DHCP and changes IP your forwarding would be wasted. It cannot be configured by MAC, just IP. There is also a limit on the number of port forwards. 32 I think...

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 03:35:36 pm »
@fillibar, what would you recommend instead of a router? I am quite close to 20 on my Almond + for numerous devices and am just curious. Thanks!

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 04:03:58 pm »
@mparadis:
Trying to get me in trouble eh?

First, I would really double check your need for 20 static IPs. Make sure there are legit reasons for all of them.
Second, I would have to say looking at commercial-grade gear. Cisco or such... I am by no means an expert though (although, oddly enough I do have a 48port gigabit PoE managed switch in the basement, so I am not a good example). Below is a link to an article talking about this type of thing. It is a bit dated, but the underlying concepts are still valid.

www.pcworld.com/article/256683/what_separates_business_routers_from_consumer_routers_.html

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 04:35:51 pm »
Thanks Fillibar, just interested in the stuff. I have like 14 or 15 now, many of which are cameras/DVR plus a few other items, nothing crazy.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 08:10:32 pm »
Cameras are one of those things that add up that is for sure. Mine is most of my DIY sensor projects where I also provide a webpage... Having to check each time to figure out which is which is annoying. Most of those projects are on hold though as I re prioritized for Christmas and my aquarium stuff (had to shut down my main tank and transfer everything to basement holding... but I also increased that to absurd size).

Anyways... a nice little hostname method would be useful too. Just call for Cam1 and regardless of the IP the router could get you there. Future maybe.

Offline LTskier

Re: changing DHCP start and end IP
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 10:29:16 pm »
I changed my default gateway address to the traditional 192.168.1.1.  Now when using my computer browser to access the Almond I'm trying to expand the DHCP IP range from 100-200 to 2-200, I get "Unable to change settings in one of the Almond, Please update the settings from LCD UI".  But I can't find this in the LCD UI.  Where is it?  Thanks.
New firmware fixed the static IP assignment, but not this problem of customizing the range.  I'm stuck with 100-200.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.

bottleneck