Choose style:

Author Topic: Action to turn on switch for x minutes then off.  (Read 8864 times)

Offline penright

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Action to turn on switch for x minutes then off.
« on: December 05, 2016, 03:01:35 pm »
The subject pretty much tells it all. I would like to on a trigger turn a switch (light) on for 15 minutes then it will automatically turn off.
Moving from Tuxedo to Almond+
And Loving it.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Action to turn on switch for x minutes then off.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 04:10:36 pm »
@ penright,

The subject pretty much tells it all. I would like to on a trigger turn a switch (light) on for 15 minutes then it will automatically turn off.

We may have to create two rules accordingly to achieve that.

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 04:18:33 pm »

I'd like to see this, too. The current 5 minute limitation is far too low.

Offline cswilly

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 07:26:30 am »
@ penright,

We may have to create two rules accordingly to achieve that.

@Ashok What is the 2nd rule you are thinking of?

My solution sucks. The 2nd rule is "if no motion, wait 300 s, then light off". Lots of limitations and misfeatures using this rule.

I would like the 2nd rule to be "if no motion for 300 s, then light off". Is this possible?

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 07:54:00 am »
@ cswilly,

Try to create a rule something like this "If trigger happened then switch on light, wait 300 seconds switch off light". However, we got your point and as of now it is limited only to 5 minutes.

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 01:03:45 pm »
@ cswilly,

Try to create a rule something like this "If trigger happened then switch on light, wait 300 seconds switch off light". However, we got your point and as of now it is limited only to 5 minutes.
What if he made a rule "If trigger happened then switch on light, wait 300 seconds switch on light, wait 300 seconds switch on light, wait 300 seconds switch on light, wait 300 seconds switch off light".

I know it looks odd, and I haven't tried it, but wouldn't that keep the light on for 15 minutes?

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 02:18:45 pm »
From my experience with a light and the delays, that should work. Great idea for a workaround!
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 03:34:17 pm »
What if he made a rule "If trigger happened then switch on light, wait 300 seconds switch on light, wait 300 seconds switch on light, wait 300 seconds switch on light, wait 300 seconds switch off light".

I know it looks odd, and I haven't tried it, but wouldn't that keep the light on for 15 minutes?

Awesome idea!

I just tested a bit and it looks like it's only waiting for the 1st switch on wait + the switch off wait--the switch on waits "in the middle" aren't used.

That now makes a 10-minute wait possible instead of 5. I'll take it! But hopefully one day a Securifi developer will undertake making that 5 minute limit something like 60 or 120...

Offline penright

• Chestnut
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 09:20:13 am »
Sorry, new to Almond+, but if I go to rule, then click on "then" at the top, for any of my switchs I only see choices "on", "off", and "toggle". Where am I off at? Besides as my wife would say, "in my mind".  ;D
And Loving it.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 01:22:09 pm »
The idea is that you would select the ON twice or more times. For the second and following ones you would set the max 4min 59sec delay. Then finish it with an OFF. Attached is an example I made. This, in theory, would keep the light on for ~10min before turning it off.

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 01:29:45 pm »
Sorry, new to Almond+, but if I go to rule, then click on "then" at the top, for any of my switchs I only see choices "on", "off", and "toggle". Where am I off at? Besides as my wife would say, "in my mind".  ;D
One you click one of the choices it gets added into the row at the top. At the top a delay is added next to the action and you set it their.
https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ag4RKxanHZpkgcVqQqzHdmARka2d7g

Offline penright

• Chestnut
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 03:24:05 pm »
One you click one of the choices it gets added into the row at the top. At the top a delay is added next to the action and you set it their.
https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ag4RKxanHZpkgcVqQqzHdmARka2d7g
That was the part I missed. This feature is kind of cool. If it was not restricted to  5 minutes then it would be exactly what I need. Turn it on, delay x minutes, then off.
I wonder is the time limited to 5 minutes because of the internal timer or that is just what the UI guy stuck on the wheel? The question is somewhat off subject, just would tell me how hard it will be to change.

Not sure if this needs to be on a different thread, but it would be cool in the "if" section "between" would support "sunset" to "sunrise". I just create two rules for now.

Has there been any discussion on if an action was overridden by a switch, what to do. This would be only an issue where a device is controlling a switch. I have a device controlling light 1, that use to  have a switch 1. So when I wire it up, the light can be controlled by the device or the switch. This creates a circuit compared to a 3-way. So a command is sent to device to turn on light and light is on. Then switch is flipped and light is off. Maybe there needs to be a drop down option that would let you set delay and a true/false to force the condition if the between time is still true. The Almond would know it needed to command the device by seeing the switch being set to off. Currently Almond is not reading my multi-function device when the switch is flipped different than the last command. Not sure if this is an issue with binary switches. Here is my post on a different thread https://forum.securifi.com/index.php/topic,5132.0.html
And Loving it.

Offline penright

• Chestnut
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 06:31:37 pm »
Not sure if this needs to be on a different thread, but it would be cool in the "if" section "between" would support "sunset" to "sunrise". I just create two rules for now
I know it been awhile, I had to put home automation on hold till I got my old house sold. So, now it is sold, I got my Gocontrol installed for my overhead garage door.
So I came back to this thread and started the rule so when the door opens (check) and it is between sunset and sunrise .... Ooops. Wait, I know I have done that before, oh it was using two rules, one to turn on and one to turn off.
First, I checked to see if there has been any new releases for Almond+, I did not see any since December. I am on that version.
So now I am stuck. If I create a chain that on the door opens fires a on + on (wait 5) + on (wait 5) + on (wait 5) + off. I have to do that in one rule. How can I protect/make sure it is dark?
And Loving it.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 07:17:55 am »
If you have a light sensor that is easy, just include it as part of the IF.
Otherwise you could add a between time, where the times are when it is relatively dark. I say relatively because of sunset/sunrise times changing. Unfortunately the Sunset and Sunrise settings in the weather option do not allow >< functions.

Offline penright

• Chestnut
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 09:06:52 am »
If you have a light sensor that is easy, just include it as part of the IF.
No sensor yet. Guess I could check out that option.

Otherwise you could add a between time, where the times are when it is relatively dark. I say relatively because of sunset/sunrise times changing. Unfortunately the Sunset and Sunrise settings in the weather option do not allow >< functions.

What about  this thought .... I have two devices that are controlled by two different rules. One at sunset and the other at sunrise to turn on and off them.  One device controls my under cabinet lights, the other an outlet that I used for Christmas lights. Could I include one of them in my if?

Clarification, when I have an "on" action with delay. Is the delay before or after the action? (Example Sunrise/Sunset has a before/after option.)
And Loving it.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck