bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Connecting three Almond 3 through a wired 8 port gigabit switch?  (Read 6154 times)

Offline skinnyblimp

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Connecting three Almond 3 through a wired 8 port gigabit switch?
« on: December 06, 2016, 12:15:43 am »
Hi,
I have a TP-link 8 port Switch (TL-SG1008D) hooked to my cable modem via Lan.  The Switch is connected to various places around my house where I have wired devices (computer, printer, TV, etc).  I am trying to place an Almond 3 at a few places around the house and have them all WIRED through the switch.  Is this possible?  How do I set this up? 
The first Almond 3 went in fine and is connected but then when I wired in the next almond I didn't know what settings to use.  it wasn't detected by the original Almond.  Do each of these have to be separate so I set each one up as a separate system? If I do that, will I be able to unite them in the App so I can hear the door open and the door bell?
Thanks in advance.
SkinnyBlimp

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Connecting three Almond 3 through a wired 8 port gigabit switch?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 12:47:28 am »
So... few things:
1) In most cases you would want the switch after the main router on the network. So first cable modem, then it is connected to the WAN port of the main router, then the switch is connected to a LAN port of the router. Next you would connect the Almond 3(s) to be meshed to the switch. That way the main router is performing all the routing, providing DHCP, etc... to all the devices in the network. It is safer for your network and easier to handle than putting everything "directly connected" to the cable modem via the switch.
2) You do not need to use each one separately if you set it up like my example above.
3) Currently you cannot "unite" the HA features of the Almond 3s. Only the main router's HA functions can be controlled overall. This IS something that Securifi is actively working and have said they hope to have an update soon.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline lksseven

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 08:32:54 am »
Fillibar,

In your example, would the Almond3 be connected to the switch via the Almond's WAN port or its LAN port?

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 11:35:38 am »
The primary Almond 3 that is acting as the router should have it's WAN connected to the cable modem. Then a LAN port should be connected to the switch.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline skinnyblimp

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 05:39:46 pm »
I got it working thanks everyone for the info.  I put an Almond 3 between the modem and the switch and it is making all the others work great!

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck