Choose style:

Author Topic: MultiSensor  (Read 4889 times)

Offline spooky123

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
MultiSensor
« on: November 22, 2016, 05:57:13 pm »
Is there a particular multisensor (temp, humid, etc) that is fully support or folks have had great usage with the Almond+?

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: MultiSensor
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 07:34:09 pm »
I've been using a couple of Aeon Labs MultiSensor6 devices. The only trouble I've had has been with pairing (which is seldom necessary to redo, but I'm a tinkerer) and when customizing the sensor parameters (which isn't necessary, was just tinkering with options).

That's the only device I have with more than 2 sensors in one package and is sold as a multi. There are a number of sensors out there that do something plus read temperature. The peq Zigbee sensors do this and i like them a lot.

Offline spooky123

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 12:30:33 pm »
Thanks appreciate it. That's the one I was looking at. I'm after the motion, light, temperate, and humidity.

Are you running yours off battery? If so, how has battery life been?

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 02:29:59 pm »
I'm not sure about the battery life. I have so many devices and deployed them at different times that I don't know what's what any more...

One is running plugged in and the other on battery. I just changed the battery about a month ago, so this thread can be a reference for later :)

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 02:32:58 pm »
I'm after the motion, light, temperate, and humidity.

Regarding light, I'm not sure how accurate those measurements are. I recall testing that a long time ago and the numbers it returned were wacky/not what I expected to see. I'll take a look at the one with fresh batteries and make a rule with the light level and see how it goes.

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 02:45:09 pm »
One more thing... I'm curious to hear about any experiences with a Zigbee multi sensor, like the SmartThings (but I think they don't have humidity) or other brands. I have the peq stuff, but they're only motion+temp, leak+temp, etc. and not 3+ sensors in one package like the SmartThings.

I've just been generally more pleased with the Zigbee HA 1.2 devices--they pair/re-pair easily and don't have to be specially added by Securifi to work. As long as the Zigbee HA 1.2 device class (thermostat, binary switch, etc.) or whatever is supported by the A+, it will just work. So when a Z-Wave Aeon MultiSensor7 comes out, it will have to be custom-coded (and tested/debugged) by Securifi before it will even pair, whereas a new Zigbee MultiSensor v2 will just work as long as it's HA 1.2 compliant. That's my understanding of it anyways...

Offline spooky123

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 05:54:12 pm »
One more thing... I'm curious to hear about any experiences with a Zigbee multi sensor, like the SmartThings (but I think they don't have humidity) or other brands. I have the peq stuff, but they're only motion+temp, leak+temp, etc. and not 3+ sensors in one package like the SmartThings.

Thanks for the info appreciate it all. The SmartThings sensor is also cheaper but for me it also doesn't do light or motion.

I've just been generally more pleased with the Zigbee HA 1.2 devices--they pair/re-pair easily and don't have to be specially added by Securifi to work. As long as the Zigbee HA 1.2 device class (thermostat, binary switch, etc.) or whatever is supported by the A+, it will just work. So when a Z-Wave Aeon MultiSensor7 comes out, it will have to be custom-coded (and tested/debugged) by Securifi before it will even pair, whereas a new Zigbee MultiSensor v2 will just work as long as it's HA 1.2 compliant. That's my understanding of it anyways...

Yeah, Zigbee vs Z-Wave is one of those pros/cons discussions, but regardless it has to be recognized by one's hub and functional or which is better is a moot point :) As I understand it, Zigbee operates on a crowded 2.4Ghz, has a shorter range,  doesn't act as repeater, has a higher data rate and has become more compliant to a standard. ZWave is 900Mhz, better range, each device is a repeater, has a lower data rate and is less compliant to a standard. So it seems that each has a use unless we can get a ZigWave combining the best of both :)

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 10:48:34 am »
Here's a link to the Aeon product "engineering sheets." They show all of the Z-Wave variables you can tweak.

https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000088070-gen5

There are various settings in place by default on the MS6 to help conserve battery, like only report certain sensor values every hour or when they exceed a variance threshold. So if you're using the luminance option  to trigger stuff, that would likely need to be tweaked from the default hour report. I guess it really depends on the use case.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.