Choose style:

Author Topic: Slow WiFi speeds on both 2.4 or 5Ghz  (Read 9486 times)

Offline Chunger

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Slow WiFi speeds on both 2.4 or 5Ghz
« on: December 08, 2016, 02:44:59 am »
I just got my 3 Almond 3's setup, and need a little help.

I have run into an issue with the wifi being exceptionally slow.  I have set it up as primary router mode with the other two linked for a mesh.  I have updated the routers with the newest updates, and they are about 25-35 ft apart with 2-3 walls (drywall and 2x4 w/ insulation) between them.

I've noticed some speed issues with two iPhones, and a Surface Pro 4.  Checking speedtest.net,  I am only able to reach download speeds of around 5-10Mbs down and 1-2Mbs up on the 5Ghz network, and 15-20Mbs down or up on 2.4Ghz netowrk.  I have re-tried this test multiple times each with different proximity to the primary, secondary and tertiary routers all with the same results.  I've even held the device about an inch away from the router to 5ft, and 15ft, and the performance is about the same. 

I have also tried a separate router with wifi, and I am able to download at 180-230Mbs and  23Mbps up consistently on the 5Ghz and about 140Mbps down on 2.4Ghz.  When I have the Almond 3s running, the test router I used is offline so I don't think it's interference from that. 

Every now and then the Almond 3 will spike up between 30-150Mbps on the 5Ghz but it only does that momentarily, and soon struggles to maintain even 10Mbps.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might be happening? Thanks in advance!

Offline lksseven

Re: Slow WiFi speeds on both 2.4 or 5Ghz
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 08:40:58 am »
Have you tried a different channel?

Offline Chunger

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 02:10:12 pm »
Yes, tried multiple channels.  My other wifi router that I disabled ran on the same channels without issue.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 05:12:39 pm »
That seems abnormal. I know of several users with no issue maintaining speeds like you are saying you get from your other router. A few simple things like what ethernet cable are you using to connect the A3 router to the modem and have you tried changing it? Are all the devices upgraded to the latest firmware? Have you tried a reboot to see if that helps? Beyond that I haven't had this issue so I can't be sure what the deal is. Someone else may be able to help or I would try contacting support (they are very receptive).

Offline Chunger

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 05:41:25 pm »
That seems abnormal. I know of several users with no issue maintaining speeds like you are saying you get from your other router. A few simple things like what ethernet cable are you using to connect the A3 router to the modem and have you tried changing it? Are all the devices upgraded to the latest firmware? Have you tried a reboot to see if that helps? Beyond that I haven't had this issue so I can't be sure what the deal is. Someone else may be able to help or I would try contacting support (they are very receptive).
I used the same cat6 ethernet cable that I used with my previous router that had no speed issues, although I haven't tried using a different cable for the A3.  All devices have the latest firmware, and reboot didn't help... And yes... next stop contacting support is on the list.

Offline AnthonyB

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 01:08:50 pm »
I had this problem when I set up the mesh network using a separate password for the 2.5ghz and 5ghz networks. It went back to fast speeds when I changed the password back to the same for both. Not sure if it caused the problem but it was a drastic change when I changed them back.

Offline Chunger

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 06:09:47 pm »
I had this problem when I set up the mesh network using a separate password for the 2.5ghz and 5ghz networks. It went back to fast speeds when I changed the password back to the same for both. Not sure if it caused the problem but it was a drastic change when I changed them back.

Thanks for the tip,..  but both are the same pw for me, and issue persists.  I'm wondering if neighbor's wifi is overpowering the mesh network even on different channels.  Older Asus router had no wifi issues though.

jjoepaulines

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 06:51:38 pm »
@Chunger : can you please hit sendlog from your primary unit ?. I will check the log and I will give you some more information.

Offline Rod

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 08:43:17 pm »
@chunger: there is an application for Android called WiFi Analyzer,  which shows you a graphical representation of all the WiFi netwok channels used.  That will help you to fine the less crowded one to improve your signal.  I'm pretty sure you can find it for IPhone as well or something similar if that is your case.

Offline Chunger

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 02:15:32 am »
@Chunger : can you please hit sendlog from your primary unit ?. I will check the log and I will give you some more information.
I just left out of town for a business trip, I will upload send logs as soon as I get back. -thx!

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 02:22:53 pm »
I just left out of town for a business trip, I will upload send logs as soon as I get back. -thx!

You can do this from the app as well under WiFi. The sooner the better for identifying issues.

Offline Chunger

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 09:59:39 am »
You can do this from the app as well under WiFi. The sooner the better for identifying issues.
Got it, thanks! Logs have been sent to Securifi.

Offline syshi

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 10:15:29 am »
Having this issue too.  Can help to analyze the log?

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 10:37:17 am »
The logs will need to be analyzed by Securifi, if you are having an issue I recommend calling them (support) and then submitting the logs when directed.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 16 queries.