bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: ISP changes IP address and Almond can't detect?  (Read 5840 times)

Offline Evan

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
ISP changes IP address and Almond can't detect?
« on: December 30, 2016, 04:39:05 pm »
This is a strange problem, and I'm not sure what to think.

My parents have Verizon Fios, and I recently got them setup with one Almond 3. I setup their network so the Almond replaced the Verizon-provided router as the primary router, mostly as described here: https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/simplify-fios-dump-actiontec-and-use-your-own-router/ (includes an ethernet-to-coax adapter)

I got it working this past Sunday, 12/25. Today, their internet dropped, but all of their devices were still connected to wifi. I suggested they restart the Almond, but not before they called Verizon. The Verizon tech told them that "for security reasons the IP address keeps changing and the Verizon router is designed to pick up those changes". He advised them to put the Verizon router back and install the Almond as an extender.

Does this make sense? Could Verizon be changing the IP address in a way that Almond would be unable to handle?

I have a similar setup with Verizon Fios (no coax adapter, though), and my internet has dropped twice since connecting it weeks ago. I didn't think much of it, but I wonder if it's the same apparent problem. I'd hate for any of us to have to consider replacing Almond as the primary router.

I appreciate any light you can shed on this. Thanks!

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: ISP changes IP address and Almond can't detect?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 05:24:34 pm »
Did you keep the Verizon router in place of buy the separate moca? The following from a guide looks like it uses the the FiOS router, but puts it in a sort of bridge mode so you can use you own router. http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/Configure_MI424WR_as_a_LAN_MoCA_Bridge.pdf

Offline Evan

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 05:54:50 pm »
Thanks, but, unless I'm misunderstanding something (entirely possible) that looks like it's only acting as a bridge, converting the ONT coaxial signal to ethernet. I'm not sure it would accomplish this IP address change handling that Verizon is suggesting.

Also, I only have internet with Verizon Fios, so the ONT outputs just ethernet for me (both ethernet and coax for my parents), so I don't have a Verizon router.

And actually, now that I mention that, I've never had a Verizon router -- I had a Cisco router connected to my ONT directly for months before getting the Almond, and that didn't have any internet drop-off issues. So either the Verizon tech is incorrect, I am coincidentally experiencing the same problems as my parents with a difference cause, or the Cisco router does something that the Almond does not in order to handle this supposed IP address change.

(On a related note, it would be cool if "loss of internet access" could be used as a trigger in the rules. Then I could setup a "if internet access is lost, reboot router" rule as a bandaid.)

Offline joltdude

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 11:42:57 am »
Sounds like your DHCP address isnt being updated....
Doesnt Fios use IP6 ?

-J

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck