Choose style:

Author Topic: Zigbee Security Camera  (Read 18321 times)

Offline rjmp

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Zigbee Security Camera
« on: December 31, 2016, 10:10:38 pm »
Can someone recommend to me an economical wireless camera with a zigbee protocl that I can connect to my Almond 2015 hub? My GF & I will shift to a bachelor place and I would like the camera to be aimed at the entrance door so if ever there's an intrusion thru the entrance while we are away, it would send a notification to us + take a photo of the intruder (hopefully it wont be any of the property mgt staff).

Spending too much time trying to find one online already.

Thanks a bunch, guys!

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Zigbee Security Camera
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 08:40:23 am »
The problem is whether one would pair or not yet. There are a couple cameras out there I think, but I have not really seen anyone discuss success or failure on the forum here yet.

If you do get something and try it out, let us all know either way and maybe Securifi will even be able to add support. Never know. Sometimes manufacturers go with the standards and other times they add "extra" stuff in that makes it effectively proprietary.

Barring all that there are non-ZigBee options you could look at:
1) Many IP cameras have built in motion detection and can start a picture or video each time. Of course that would include when you are around, but you could turn it off then.
2) Some cameras have an external input trigger.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 08:43:30 am by fillibar »
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline cswilly

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 11:10:22 am »
Do not mess with ZigBee for a security camera. If they exist, ZigBee's throughput is too slow for anything.

Go with a Wi-Fi IP security camera. Good ones cost between $100USD to $300.  Tomsguide http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-home-security-cameras,review-2741.html is a good place to start looking.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 11:32:25 am »
I could be wrong but I do not think the ZigBee was expected for any image transfer, correct? Just to be used to trigger the camera?

Offline rjmp

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 11:35:26 pm »
Thanks guys. I had already ordered the Orvibo SC10W on gearbest.com for under US$50. I asked them a few times prior to the purchase if this was a zigbee product and they affirmed it. Im gonna hope for the best on this one. If ever, I will asks for a refund since their claim wasnt true but Im hoping that it would connect somehow. Reminds me of the chance that I took on the Philips Hue White which I bought for C$14.99 at besybuy.ca. It only had the zigbee certified logo on it but everywhere I searched I was told that I would need the Philips Hub in order to connect. But based on my research on the zigbee protocol, any zigbee product should connect with the routers from Securifi. And im thankful that I didnt have to spend on a Philips Hub because I was able to connect the Philips Hue White onto my current Almond 2015 router directly! I could even dim it which was awesome! By the time I upgrade to the Almond 3 next week, I hope all connects just as trouble-free. I will update my final set-up once I'm done with my home automation & security system.

neeharika

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 01:58:15 am »
Hi rjmp,

You can pair any Zigbee Camera with Almond 2015 but you wouldn't be able to get the full functionality of the camera on your Almond 2015 or 3, as we haven't specifically added support for them yet. We are in the process of integrating Climax Zigbee Cameras. Adding full fledged support for the first Zigbee Camera is a pain due to video processing, testing etc, but once we are done with one we can add other similar Zigbee Cameras into the fold pretty quickly!

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 02:50:07 pm »
@rjmp:
Let us know if it even pairs. I checked their site (and a bunch of others) for that model and only your question and their answer even mentions ZigBee for it. I could not find any other references including on the company's website.

Offline rjmp

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 06:55:15 pm »
Thanks Neeharika for your input.

I don't really care much of the video cause I'm trying to keep my expectations low. I'm only after a few still shots when the door sensor has been triggered so that I can get a copy of the image file along with a notification of the door sensor. If I can actually have the 2 way microphone working too, that would be a bonus. And if ever I can get a video somehow working, that would be the cherry on top of the cream!

Offline rjmp

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 07:00:24 pm »
@filibar,

You got it, dude! I will update you guys once everything is set up, esp the Orvibo camera.

That Orvibo camera was from another zigbee security set already actually - also found in gearbest.com - and its very specific on the zigbeee protocol used. Although they mentioned something about the camera only being able to be used in their own zigbee network. Im taking their statement with a grain of salt cause (1) Zigbee is zigbee and isnt confine to just 1 manufacturer (2) Chinese advertisement tend to be sketchy and inaccurate at times, and (3) that just might be sales-talk so that you'll get the entire security set instead of just getting a particular componenet that you need.

Im also looking into getting the $69 MoveZ by Teptron. It's a Z-wave motorized blinds device! Perfect for my vertical blinds and our soon-to-arrive Almond 3 (with the Z-wave dongle, of course) !

Offline rjmp

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 07:04:46 pm »
By the way guys, Is a Zigbee device the same as a Zigbee Gateway device? I was checking this Wulian Digital Camera as well @ Amazon, that's why. Plus they emailed me as well, touting how good their zigbee camera is and that they are part of the zigbee consortium etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Wulian-Wireless-Intercom-Surveillance-Security/dp/B015NTJUZS/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1483925419&sr=1-4&keywords=zigbee+camera

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 07:27:44 pm »
@rjmp have you tried pairing the camera yet?

neeharika

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 12:30:20 am »
Hi @rjmp! MoveZ is still in the development stage right? I remember that 6 months back, their founder, Pierre Tillman, contacted us for integration, but their Z wave variant wasn't ready for integration then. Let us know how it works.

Btw, Zigbee Gateway is something which acts as a bridge between different Zigbee Devices. Zigbee Devices can be added to the Zigbee network created by the Gateway and manipulated through the App. Here the Wulian Camera acts similar to Almond's HA function, but it only specifically supports other Wulian devices.

Offline rjmp

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 11:31:02 am »
@Neeharika

The MoveZ is in raising funds in indiegogo ( https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/movez-motorize-blinds-and-shades-gadget#/ ) and will be delivered by March 2017. Im planning to get one within 2 weeks after my research into a suitable motorised blinds is over.

Offline rjmp

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 12:46:02 pm »
I promised an update guys so here it is.....

Got the home automation working now - well almost - at our downtown Toronto, Ontario apartment, and its awesome!!

Pretty much everything is connected to my Almond 3  which I ordered thru amazon.COM - as well the Amazon Echo Dot & Securifi Zwave dongle - and picked it up personally across the border at their Amazon Locker facility in Buffalo NY.

Here's my set-up:
1) Almond 3
2) Securifi Door Sensor
3) Securifi Peanut Smart Plug x3 (bed light, air purifier & tv)
4) Securifi Zwave Dongle
5) August Smart Lock
6) August Connect 
7) Amazon Echo Dot
8) Philips Hue White A19
9) APC UPS ES 350 & 750
10) LG OLED Tv
11) Onkyo HT-S3800 Home Theater System 

Since Rogers (my ISP) already provided a free Hitron modem, I'm using my Almond 3 as a range extender though our small apartment doesnt need to extend the wifi range. I connected the plug&play Zwave dongle to it. Then I placed it near the kitchen which is somewhat at the center of our place. I installed and set up my August Smart lock, together with the August Connect (for remote access capability via internet). Then I connected the 3 peanuts smart plugs to our LG Oled Tv, murphy wall bed overhead lights, and the air purifier. Next I installed the door sensor to our 1 and only main door.

Next I installed the August smart lock & the August Connect. It works great on the main door deadbolt! My GF can remotely open the door from her workplace indeed!

Next I plugged in the Amazon Echo Dot and connected it to my Almond 3. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that even my August smart lock can be connected to my echo dot! So I went ahead and did that too! I also connected my amazon echo dot to my Onkyo home theater via bluetooth.

I connected the Almond 3, August Connect and my Amazon Echo Dot to a APC UPS 350 so that even in a power interuption, these guys will continue to function. And I connected my ISP's modem and air purifier to another UPS - a bigger one - APC UPS ES 750. SO in the event of a power failure, my internet service, my wifi, almond 3, amazon echo dot, august smart lock and air  purifier can still run for a few hours and can be remotely controlled.

Results? Now we can control a few stuffs at our place thru our Almond 3 with just our voice (thru Alexa), thru the following:
1) "Alexa, turn on the television" and our LG Oled Tv will turn on (and vice versa)
2) "Alexa, turn on bed light" and the murphy wall bed overhead lights will on (and vice versa)
3) "Alexa, turn on purifier" and the air purifier will turn on ( and vice versa)

More commands we have tried with Alexa:
1) "Alexa, play radiolab"
2) "Alexa what's the weather in Toronto today?"
3) "Alexa, asks August to lock my door"
4) "Alexa, what's the news today?"
5) "Alexa, disconnect bluetooth"
6) "Alexa, connect bluetooth speaker"
7) "Alexa, what time is it?"
8) "Alexa, play me a song" (but since I've no songs in my amazon account, she replied regatively)
9) "Alexa, lower volume by 10"
10) "Alexa, louder volume by 10"

I've yet to find more useful commands for the Amazon Echo Dot.

1 big problem I have is when I first opened the box of the Philips Hue White A19, it paired with my Almond 2015 flawlessly and we couldnt control on/off & dimmer. Now it wont connect with my Almond 3. I tried to remove all sensors from my Almond 2015, hoping to "release" it from any hub so its available to connect with my Almond 3 but nothing. GGGRRRRRR !! Could it be that the Philips Hue White A19 can only be paired directly ONCE ONLY if you're NOT using a Philips Hub?? I'm tempted to just go out and buy another $15 Philips Huw White cause I suspect this is the case. It's cheaper  than buying a smart plug, that's why. Anybody can shed more light into this?

Incidentally, I've set up auto-unlock on my August smart lock and it works magically! Right as I step out of the elevator, I can hear my apartment door unlocking....WOW! Plus once I leave my place, August will lock my door after 30 seconds since I on the auto-lock feature. Essentially, I can leave my place WITHOUT MY KEY and yet come back without a problem........ WOW!!

The following 2 items are being delivered still:
1) Orvibo Zigbee digital camera
2) Xiaomi Zigbee smart plug

Any inputs on how to make my set-up better, fellas?

Offline frednava67

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 12:59:32 pm »
Any updates on the Orvibo SC10W camera getting connected?

Thanks.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.