Choose style:

Author Topic: Lights randomly turning off  (Read 7077 times)

Offline jcab75

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Lights randomly turning off
« on: December 05, 2017, 04:57:38 am »
I just updated to the new firmware, and a day later all of the Cree bulbs in my house (with the exception of one I think which I added after the update), just randomly turn off after about an hour or two. I tried rebooting the router. I tried removing a light and then readding it. Nothing is working. The lights all still functions on their rules, and I can turn them off and on just fine through the app. But I can't keep any of them on for more than a couple hours. In the app, after a light has gone off, it still displays it as being on. I have to press the light's button in the app twice -- once to officially turn it off and a second time to turn it back on again. If it was just one bulb, I'd think this was a faulty light. But this is 9 different lights all over my house. And it all started today after I updated the firmware. Any ideas?

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Lights randomly turning off
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 07:33:11 am »
That is strange. I would start with removing just one bulb and readding it. That should confirm it isn't a strange bulb issue. Any other changes? Like location of the Almond? Any new devices in the house? Microwave etc?

Offline engr.jpc

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 09:59:24 am »
I just updated to the new firmware, and a day later all of the Cree bulbs in my house (with the exception of one I think which I added after the update), just randomly turn off after about an hour or two.

I am experiencing similar issue with my Cree Bulb... I am not 100% sure but it seems like it started to happen in the new beta firmware. We turn on our Cree bulb around 9pm every night and would like it to be on until around 7 or 8am but it turns off on its own around 6am (app shows it’s still on). This puzzles me because I don't have any rule for my Cree bulb.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 08:55:06 pm by engr.jpc »

Offline jcab75

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 08:09:52 pm »
@mparadis, as I said in my original post, I already did that. Removed a light and readded it. The readded light did the same thing after about an hour. It just turned off. Although, in the app, it would still show it as on. No changes to anything (location of Almond, addition of any devices) except the update to the new firmware which I did just before it started happening.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 08:15:34 pm »
My mistake misread the post. Are your rules time based? Are they always turning on at the right time?

Offline jcab75

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 08:36:40 pm »
Yep. 4pm on and 1am off. And this issue is not affecting any of that. All of the lights behave just fine on their rules. Just in between that time about once every hour or so, I have to open the app and turn everything on again. Haven't timed it yet, but perhaps I will now... last one I noticed happened at 4:57 which is 57 minutes after they went on today with their rule.

UPDATE: It seems it's always (roughly) on the hour. Although not always hourly, and not all of the lights each time it happens. Sometimes a light can go for 2 hours without turning off. Sometimes only an hour. But it seems that every hour between minute 55 and minute 57 a random few of my 9 Cree lights turn off. If I leave those off and wait another hour more will go off (usually all of the rest leaving the house in darkness). But when they turn off, I typically turn them back on right away. That's why I'm just now noticing the pattern... which is still somewhat random, but does happen at around the same time each hour.  I'm going to try removing one of the lights to see if it continues with that light unconnected. If it does, then at that point I'll try resetting the bulb itself.

UPDATE 2: Scratch that. Some lights just went off at 8:33. So seems like they go off at random. Already removed a light. Waiting to see if it turns off now that it's not connected to the Almond.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 11:38:01 pm by jcab75 »

Offline jcab75

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 07:15:48 pm »
So I have removed one Cree bulb from the Almond (I haven't even reset the bulb, just removed it) and that bulb has stayed on for nearly 20 hours. None of the other Cree bulbs will stay on longer than a couple of hours when connected to the Almond, even if removed and then re-added again. I think it's safe to say this is related in some way to the recent update I installed. Would love to hear from anyone at Securify (Staff I've seen around these parts) about things I can try to fix this, because now I'm removing all of my lights from the Almond, and until this is resolved, my smart home router is basically just a router.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:19:05 pm by jcab75 »

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 07:19:24 am »
Definitely sounds like some kind of bug then  :'(. I am not sure how it could be addressed besides an update. I would try adding a bulb back into the Almond (freshly) and send the logs with a title like Cree Bulb bug, lights turning off randomly.

Offline santosh

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 02:53:02 am »
So I have removed one Cree bulb from the Almond (I haven't even reset the bulb, just removed it) and that bulb has stayed on for nearly 20 hours. None of the other Cree bulbs will stay on longer than a couple of hours when connected to the Almond, even if removed and then re-added again. I think it's safe to say this is related in some way to the recent update I installed. Would love to hear from anyone at Securify (Staff I've seen around these parts) about things I can try to fix this, because now I'm removing all of my lights from the Almond, and until this is resolved, my smart home router is basically just a router.

Could you please try controlling a bulb every hour(on-off) and see if that bulb still goes off state at random time?

Offline jcab75

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 08:12:06 pm »
I have finally had the chance to test this, and by turning it on and off every hour, the bulb does not go off (except in one instance where the bulb went off just before my hour mark chance to refresh it). Once I stopped doing this, the bulb went off eventually... usually about an hour since it last turned on. If I were to do the same experiment but turn it on and off every 5 minutes, I’m sure it would never turn off on it’s own.

I have removed all lights from the router and just turn them on and off manually until this can be resolved. I deleted all original rules from the router. The only light connected is the one I used for this test and I’ve added a new rule for it to turn on and off in the evening and morning. But while it’s connected, I can’t keep it on for much longer than an hour. Close to 2 at the absolute most. :-/ Please help.

Offline santosh

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 12:46:53 am »
I have finally had the chance to test this, and by turning it on and off every hour, the bulb does not go off (except in one instance where the bulb went off just before my hour mark chance to refresh it). Once I stopped doing this, the bulb went off eventually... usually about an hour since it last turned on. If I were to do the same experiment but turn it on and off every 5 minutes, I’m sure it would never turn off on it’s own.

I have removed all lights from the router and just turn them on and off manually until this can be resolved. I deleted all original rules from the router. The only light connected is the one I used for this test and I’ve added a new rule for it to turn on and off in the evening and morning. But while it’s connected, I can’t keep it on for much longer than an hour. Close to 2 at the absolute most. :-/ Please help.

Thank you for confirming this, This could be happening because of the ping packet we are sending every hour to maintain device state(active or inactive). we will take care of this in the next release until then you can use older firmware.

Offline jcab75

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 07:03:06 am »
Thank you Santosh. Here is an update on where I’m at, in case others with Cree bulbs are having a similar issue. I rolled back my firmware to R102, but unfortunately the problem persisted. I decided to do a full factory reset. But again, the problem persisted. I noticed that the reset kept my firmware at R102, and that’s when I remembered that when I updated o R104, I hadn’t updated in many many months, perhaps even over a year. So I decided to roll back to R095 (from last August to be safe, since I really don’t remember what my last firmware version was before the 104 update. Anyway, Cree lights are finally back to normal. So somewhere between R095 and R102, a bug is causing Cree bulbs (or at least my Cree bulbs) to turn off every hour or so after being turned on. Please let me know if it’s safe to update on the next release. This has been tiring, so I’m very happy with R095 for now.

Offline engr.jpc

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 01:44:37 pm »
I have one cree bulb and my the issue is when I turn it on around 9pm (I want it on until 7am next day) the light is turning of around 6am. it wasn't turning off every hour like what jcab75 is experiencing. I haven't tried to turn it on again that long after I was given and updated to a new firmware (R22x) that's supposed to fix the issue. I hope to try it this weekend.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 18 queries.