bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Insteon Integration  (Read 9131 times)

Offline DaveYHZ

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Insteon Integration
« on: August 02, 2013, 07:59:38 am »
I just saw on the survey that Insteon was waaaay down on the list of integrations.  I've got everything I need at the house (except an Almond+ of course), including time and skill to help out my SmartHome brethren.  Will you be making an integration guide available to the community so I can pitch in?

BTW:  didn't we verify that we are human on registration?  Why do it again on each post?  If you have control over the forum software, perhaps include a textbox id="name" then hide it with JS.  If there is anything in the box, dump the submission as only a bot would see it ;)

Offline Karin

• Backer
Re: Insteon Integration
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 09:40:16 am »
I'm heavy into Insteon as well.  A few years ago it was by far the best tech for home automation, and it's still a strong contender today (redundant power line + wireless comms, network layout, variety of devices and DIY options, etc).  SmartHome was perhaps not as aggressive with their marketing as they should have been though, and I think they got distracted with their store that carries every home automation tech under the sun.  They should really push Insteon and all the great work they put into it.

I've built my own home security system with water leak detection, vacation mode, nighttime mode (dim lights), door lock checks, power savings, air purification, and heat/cool control.  It also throttles my bittorrent box automatically if anyone's home.  Overall I'd say the system is 99.5% reliable.

It's an addiction... :(

LGNilsson

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 10:47:18 am »
I just saw on the survey that Insteon was waaaay down on the list of integrations.  I've got everything I need at the house (except an Almond+ of course), including time and skill to help out my SmartHome brethren.  Will you be making an integration guide available to the community so I can pitch in?

BTW:  didn't we verify that we are human on registration?  Why do it again on each post?  If you have control over the forum software, perhaps include a textbox id="name" then hide it with JS.  If there is anything in the box, dump the submission as only a bot would see it ;)

It's something you'd be free to tinker with and we'll provide a degree of help where we can. Does Insteon work with OpenWRT? As if it does, it shouldn't be very hard to add support. I know there's an OpenWRT build for the MicasaVerde Vera units and it might be possible to borrow some code from that.

As for the Captchas, it'll go away after five posts. It's not just to prevent bots, but to slow down human spammers too, as I'm afraid that there are plenty of those around too.

Offline bagheadinc

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 10:54:26 am »
Another Insteon supporter here. My fans use the Fanlinc module and that type of device is only available in Insteon as far as I know. I wouldn't mind switching it to a ZigBee or Z-wave device if available, but until then here's hoping Securifi or some savvy community members get Insteon integrated. :)

Offline AARON

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 12:08:47 pm »
Lars,
There is code for Vera called Altsteon that you could likely port to Almond+.  I would be great if you could look into it.

I posed this in another thread, and it is relevant here...

I have a Vera3 and backed Almond+ hoping it would be a better device. The Vera hardware is fine but the general usability (UI, event system, etc) is total crap. In order for me to replace the Vera, Almond+ will need to support both Insteon & Zwave.

I, and many others, cannot give up Insteon for a few reason:
1) MANY more device options with Insteon that Zwave does not have
2) Insteon is much more reliable - Zwave has issues when you get devices "too far" apart, or too many, or too few devices... causing missed commands, loss of communications completely and network healing required fix these. I have 30 Insteon devices, not a single missed command.
3) Many 'core' Insteon devices are much better than Zwave alternatives, in several ways - perfect example is Insteon Dimmers: they are less expensive, higher quality and more features then Zwave dimmers.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 12:10:20 pm by AARON »

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.