bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Using Motion Sensors to start turn off timer, but allow motion to override  (Read 4342 times)

Offline camrunr

• Peanut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
I see activity from a few years ago re: canceling a rule, but no real resolve. I'm hoping there's an update or work around (using IFTTT, other?).

I'm using MSs to turn lights on. I also want them to turn off when the MS says "no motion". My plan was to have the lights dim slightly first, then, after 30 seconds, they turn off. The problem is that motion in that 30s window does not take the "off" command out of the queue.

Sample situations below. Sequence one below is easy with the A+. I don't see any way to accomplish sequence two.

Sequence one:
  • Motion
  • Lights on, 100%
  • No motion
  • Dim to 50%
  • Start 30s timer
  • Lights off

Sequence two:
  • Motion
  • Lights on, 100%
  • No motion
  • Dim to 50%
  • Start 30s timer
  • Motion!
  • Kill off-timer
  • Lights on, 100%

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Yeah, this would be great to have working. It would make motion lighting much more usable.

That's how it works for me, so when someone is standing in front of the motion sensor and the timer runs out,  the light goes off and then on again.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 11:44:55 pm by grouter »

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
I would think something like this could work:
1) IF Motion THEN Lights 100%
2) IF No Motion AND Lights 100% THEN Lights 50% AND Delay 30 Seconds Lights 49%
3) IF No Motion AND Lights 49% THEN Lights OFF

The second would dim the lights with no motion and puts a 30 second delay before setting the lights to a very specific dim value. The third would then turn the lights off if there was no motion, but only if they were that specific value. If motion was detected again they would turn back on because of the first rule.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
I would think something like this could work:
1) IF Motion THEN Lights 100%
2) IF No Motion AND Lights 100% THEN Lights 50% AND Delay 30 Seconds Lights 49%
3) IF No Motion AND Lights 49% THEN Lights OFF

The second would dim the lights with no motion and puts a 30 second delay before setting the lights to a very specific dim value. The third would then turn the lights off if there was no motion, but only if they were that specific value. If motion was detected again they would turn back on because of the first rule.

That sounds like it will work,  but there should really be an easy button for this.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
It seems simple but you have to come up with the specific IF portion. Once triggered, a Rule runs. Unless they make some sort of "interrupt" logic for the THEN portion... but that would make things pretty complicated. This is another case where a variable or virtual device that can be set and monitored could help.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 19 queries.

bottleneck