bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: What can be done about Open Well-known ports warning with I O T security suite  (Read 4661 times)

Offline Estebandito

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
I need feedback about a couple devices that I have that securifi says have open well known ports.   Give me laymans terms of what that means.   

How can I improve, change or do I have to live with that.

getting that alert on  samsung bluray, my q hub, and idevices plug.    Would love better explanations as part of this paid service.   

Thanks,

Offline hitesh_manwar

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Any application running on your computer or Internet-enabled device that wants to communicate to the outside world (any service on public internet) needs to "bind" to the port. This "binding" essentially opens the port in that particular computer/device.

Open ports are not the cause of vulnerability, rather it's the application running on these ports that may be vulnerable. Furthermore, ports are called "Well-known" ( port no:  0 to 1024) when the application running on them are standardized and commonly used by everyone. This implies that any motivated hacker who has the knowledge about the loopholes in these applications can gain access to your computer/device.

Ideally, vendors should not leave open ports on their devices. However, some of them are needed for normal day to day web operations ( like port 80 is used for web browsing). Almond's internet security helps you identify devices which might have open ports and also provides you the port numbers associated with them. As of now, there is no way for a router to know what applications are running on the port, hence all open ports are listed out as a warning, especially the "Well-known" ones.

I would recommend you to do the following for the devices in  your network ( BlueRay, Q hub etc):

- Check if they have the latest firmware running on them. If not, update them.
- Check which ports are open. If its port 80 - it may well be harmless, but if its say port 23 or 22, it may be vulnerable - in which case I suggest you contact your device vendor.

For more reading, you can refer here: http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~b90047/ebook/winXPhack/0596005113_winxphks-chp-5-sect-11.html

I do understand that this security feature is very technical in nature and understanding the warnings may involve a steep learning curve. We at Securifi are working on simplifying it further for the end user. We are working towards providing contextual information on each warning/vulnerable message and guide users on how to fix them.

I hope this explanation helps.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck