bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: SECURITY FLAW in Sensors: Almond or all Gateways? Sensor issue?  (Read 7687 times)

Offline BrownChiLD

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: SECURITY FLAW in Sensors: Almond or all Gateways? Sensor issue?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 09:29:53 pm »
@ BrownChiLD and cswilly,

We just ran a simple test again using Zigbee and Z-wave sensors and found that there are sensors, which send the query after 3 minutes (Securifi), 45 minutes (Climax) and 4 hours (Nyce). Hence, it mostly depends upon the sensor to update the status, once they rejoin the network after the controller has been rebooted or turned on.

Thanks ashok, thanks for the data. So for this one, Almond simply stays open to receive and report whatever and WHENEVER the sensor throws at it. So it's the sensors' that are at fault. Good to get this confirmed.

Now if Almond can have an option to at least flag sensors that have not reported back  since x minutes..
like a config to set each sensor its own TTL. So that we can set TTLs for sensors that are supposed to be polling its data... also good to easily test/spot if sensors do conform to this key feature..

Ill run through my different sensors and test for polling...  can you please confirm WEB SOCKET event is triggered when sensor polls Almond the SAME DATA? Or will it just trigger event on actual updates/changes? because i scanned through the docs and it seems all the update events are based on CHANGES. so same data coming in doesn't seem to trigger any events

Notification and Event Updates
https://wiki.securifi.com/index.php/Websockets_Documentation#Notification_and_Event_Updates

want to create an app that will profile all my sensors if they are polling-type.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 09:16:51 am »
@ BrownChiLD,

There are quite a few sleepy devices, which won't respond even though we try to query the request.

Offline BrownChiLD

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 07:36:30 am »
@ BrownChiLD,

There are quite a few sleepy devices, which won't respond even though we try to query the request.

I see. well i hope you guys can implement a sort of time/out TTL setting  that can be user-defined

for example, for sensors that we know regularly pings every interval, say 60 seconds... we can set a TTL on it for 5 minutes.. so if almond doesn't get repeat/ping/communication from it beyond that, it will flag as offline / timed out

This will at least give us AWARENESS of the presence of sensor in the system and not blindly trust that all is well because the device is "listed" on almond UI.

Then we the users can then prefer sensors that does the "check in" stuff. I know i would and all my customers would as well.

Then for those sleepy devices that doesn't regularly ping/check in, and doesn't respond even if almond queries it, we can then set a different TTL , a much longer perhaps? at least user defined.

Anyway just a suggestion since reliability is really questionable at the moment, the way i see it. I hate how these sensor manufacturers didn't even consider this fact. imagine someone breaking into your home and your sensors aren't going off because they were dead or ran out of batteries weeks ago and you find out the hard way.

tsk

Offline jwh7

• Peanut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 03:11:38 pm »
Securifi is pretty tight lipped (can't seem to find out what OS and Chipset the Almond 3 is on [...]
Fwiw... https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Securifi_Almond_3

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 17 queries.