bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: OpenWRT version update?  (Read 12404 times)

Offline dviros

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
OpenWRT version update?
« on: March 09, 2017, 11:43:17 am »
Hi,
I don't know if it has been asked, but is it possible to update the Almond+ to the newest OpenWRT version? Many bugs can be solved.

Thanks!

Offline joltdude

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: OpenWRT version update?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 11:03:15 am »
They cant do it due to the SoC used in the Almond+ ... Basically it was bought out by Realtek who discontinued support for it since it was a competitors product

Offline spooky123

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 12:20:19 pm »
Is this solved in the Almond 3 or is that the same chipset and issue?

Offline joltdude

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 12:44:36 pm »
Is this solved in the Almond 3 or is that the same chipset and issue?

Not sure. but the Almond 3 supposedly uses a different SoC

For some leads on why the Almond+ hasn't updated its OpenWRT
Securifi has a decent search function.. i was surprised...

https://forum.securifi.com/index.php/topic,1374.msg14670.html#msg14670
https://forum.securifi.com/index.php/topic,2069.msg15662.html#msg15662
https://forum.securifi.com/index.php/topic,1739.msg16867.html#msg16867

-J
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 12:54:22 pm by joltdude »

Offline dviros

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 04:28:51 pm »
That's a bummer...Thanks for the info

Offline spooky123

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 08:26:14 am »
I wonder if Securifi has plans / intent for Almond+ or if they are just going to let it fizzle out and die.
The new products don't meet what I'm after and without knowing chipset and plan info, I wouldn't buy them anyway.
Almond+ with a new chipset, new OS, open platform and plans for future..... I would re-buy that.

Offline Dudeness30

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 12:34:16 pm »
Yeah, they need to put put a new "premium" hub, Maybe the "Almond +S"
Almond+, 2 flood sensors, 1 motion sensor, 1 Z-wave water valve, 2 Aeon Labs DSC06106-ZWUS - Z-Wave Smart Energy Switch, 1 Enerwave ZWN-RSM1S Z-Wave Relay, 1 GE Z-Wave Outdoor Module, 1 Enerwave ZWN-RSM2 Z-Wave Smart Dual Relay,

Offline joltdude

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 01:45:41 pm »
Iv actually liked the replacement to the Almond+ (The almond3) ... Do I think a update to the Plus hardwarewise would be nice.. Yes I would...

Ther reason they stuck the Zwave external was easier logistics for dealing with regulations... Easy to change a stick, not so easy if its built in to put the right modem in for the right region and it costs...

That said they still consistently update the Almond+ firmware.. even though its slowed down a bit to work on the Almond 3.... Really cool would be a Almond+ that integrates with the Almond 3 satellites via mesh...

_j

Offline spooky123

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 02:54:56 pm »
Iv actually liked the replacement to the Almond+ (The almond3) ... Do I think a update to the Plus hardwarewise would be nice.. Yes I would...

Ther reason they stuck the Zwave external was easier logistics for dealing with regulations... Easy to change a stick, not so easy if its built in to put the right modem in for the right region and it costs...

Yeah, the things I'd want to see from the Almond3 is stated information on chipset and chipset support, OpenWRT, (4) Lan ports, (2) USB or (3) USB if Zwave is dongle (though I'd rather have built in)., improved antenna array and throughput.... so when I slice it down, I end up with what I want is Almond+ on OpenWrt with a current, supported chipset :)

Sure, I can overcome the low lan port count with a switch, and low USB with a hub, but at home I don't do anything out of the ordinary for a common home router and because of that I don't want the extra gear and power supplies. I'd happily give up the Touchscreen screen in return :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 02:56:57 pm by spooky123 »

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 04:22:19 pm »
Yeah, the things I'd want to see from the Almond3 is stated information on chipset and chipset support, OpenWRT, (4) Lan ports, (2) USB or (3) USB if Zwave is dongle (though I'd rather have built in)., improved antenna array and throughput.... so when I slice it down, I end up with what I want is Almond+ on OpenWrt with a current, supported chipset :)

Sure, I can overcome the low lan port count with a switch, and low USB with a hub, but at home I don't do anything out of the ordinary for a common home router and because of that I don't want the extra gear and power supplies. I'd happily give up the Touchscreen screen in return :)
I don't see them really upping the lan port count. I think we are in the minority and most people probably don't even have anything other then the modem plugged in by cable. Heck I didn't think of using a USB hub with the Almond, just yesterday I finally needed to use my printer, and thought I was screwed due to the Zwave dongle. So I would like to see at least 1 more USB port. I would like Zwave built in but can understand them keeping it out to keep costs down. It seems like most of the main consumer devices you find in say a Walmart or Lowes are Zigbee. I really hope they go back to the ports in the back of the device. I can't think of why they decided on the change. Personally I think it looks weird and out of place with the wires coming off the side.

Offline spooky123

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 09:59:44 pm »
I don't see them really upping the lan port count. I think we are in the minority and most people probably don't even have anything other then the modem plugged in by cable.

All I can say is that other major home router manufacturers continue to produce higher port count models. Netgear and Linksys are up to 5, 7, 8 gigabit LAN ports on their current/recent models. Granted they don't have home automation in them.... yet.   :D

Offline LilasCook

YearsYearsYears
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 11:14:47 am »
Hello...i have problem after the update. I am trying to do a very simple basic OpenWRT on PI4, and can't get it working.
PI4 build is "openwrt-bcm27xx-bcm2711-rpi-4-ext4-factory".

I added USB3 adapter to create a "multi-homed" PI4, added UPNP package and Lucy, created two interfaces - "lan/eth0" with static IP, and "wan/eth1" with DHCP client.

gerber viewer
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 06:05:54 pm by LilasCook »

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck