Choose style:

Author Topic: Trigger Siren After 10 Seconds  (Read 5530 times)

Offline skillet

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Trigger Siren After 10 Seconds
« on: March 20, 2017, 06:18:46 pm »
I am struggling with trying to set up a rule that triggers an alarm if the door is still open after 10 seconds.

Right now I have

1) rule set for: if door is open then turn on siren after 10 seconds.
2) rule set for: if door is closed then turn off siren.

Problem is you open the door for 2 seconds close the door and 8 seconds later the siren goes off because it was still registering rule 1 from when the door opened.  Rule two worked but there was no siren to turn off because it was already off since it hadn't gone past the 10 seconds from rule one.

I really need if door is open longer than 10 seconds Then turn on siren which doesn't seem possible.

I just got the Almond+ last week and first time using all these smart home devices.  It feels like the rules and or statements and a bit more options including
1) OR statements
2) Options to rearange the rules
3) Options to duplicate a rule to modify based on previous settings (there are several lightbulb settings that take a while to get set right with the color and having multiple triggers that use the same color is a bit of a pain.

I already have dozens of rules that I wish could be grouped together in folders, and could really be simplified and combined IF there were OR and AND/OR statements, not just AND.  It certainly makes for a mess in the rules.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Trigger Siren After 10 Seconds
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 08:00:58 pm »
There is no direct "counter" to time a door being open. I can think of a workaround though using ANOTHER device along with it. Let's say the other device "Device 1" is a boolean-type (on/off) here is how it could go.
1) IF Door Open and Device 1 OFF THEN delay 10 seconds Device 1 ON
2) IF Door Open and Device 1 ON THEN Alarm ON
3) IF Door Closed THEN Alarm OFF and Device 1 OFF

Still not perfect but it could help. You could use other types of devices like dimmers or RGB colors or lights also (turning the light on when the door is open for example).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 07:03:44 pm by fillibar »
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline skillet

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 04:30:04 pm »
Thank you that took a bit to get my head wrapped around, I will have to purchase another light that I can dedicate to this. If I understand it right step 2 should be if Device 1 is ON not Off right?

1) IF Door Open and Device 1 OFF THEN delay 10 seconds Device 1 ON
2) IF Door Open and Device 1 ON THEN Alarm ON
3) IF Door Closed THEN Alarm OFF and Device 1 OFF

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 07:03:22 pm »
Doh! Yes, you are correct. Sorry about that.

If you do not have a spare device around... Not sure I can recommend it entirely, unless you were planning on getting some more anyways. I have not had a chance to try this out on my own gear yet to see if it seems like it meets your need.

Just to make sure it does not confuse anyone else going forward, I am going to go back and correct step 2...

Offline skillet

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 09:27:02 pm »
So my light didn't have a rule that showed if it was on so I used a peanut plug.  Unfortunately what happened is this is the exact same problem as before just compounded.  You open the door the timer starts for the plug which turns on a lamp.  If you close the door within 10 seconds it sends a command to turn off the alarm (which wasn't on) and turn off the lamp.  When you open it again since the counter was still going and the door shut the lamp or switch turns on and remains in a toggled on state.  That means the next time you open the door the alarm goes off right away when you open the door because the lamp is already on since the timer started counting from the point you opened the door.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 11:36:58 pm »
That is not what I intended. Wish I had been able to try it out before sticking you with that.

I will have to give it some more thought... but at present I am not coming up with anything earth-shattering unfortunately.

Offline skillet

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 04:27:29 pm »
No worries I appreciate the help and thought you put into it. I received an email back from help saying they couldn't think of anything either but will get back to me in a couple days to see if they come up with anything.  They first said it was possible but a week later I hadn't heard anything still. Hopefully the rules can gain a little more power and combine more things into one.  Sometimes simple ends up being more complicated when there is too little features available.  I am thinking in particular about having to even use multiple rules to get one thing done of which I have several in that boat.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 07:48:15 am »
Yeah. I think Securifi is also in a bit of a hard spot.
A) The system is meant to be usable by most anyone without a lot of trouble. Thus many things are kept simple.
B) There are many users that do not want it entirely simple. They want more advanced features, and Securifi has added many things.

Those two make it tough to find a happy medium.

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 19 queries.