bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: 2.4Ghz instability  (Read 6645 times)

Offline chelupa

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
2.4Ghz instability
« on: March 21, 2017, 08:00:40 pm »
Hi,
I had my Almond+ for years and it had no issues with 2.4Ghz before, but after moving to a new house, I've had really spotty stability with the 2.4Ghz band. The 5Ghz band doesn't have as many problems, but still also hiccups occasionally.
I've tried the suggested things like changing the channel from 1 to 6 to 11, but that didn't help, and even with a signal analysis, the existing signals don't have a huge amount of interference. I've also tried completely resetting to factory and that's still not fixing things. I'd like to continue using my A+ as my main router as long as IoT controller, but this issue is getting more annoying now

Thanks for any help!

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: 2.4Ghz instability
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 10:11:02 pm »
Are there any devices near the A+ at the new house that weren't nearby at the old? I had a wireless device near the A+ cause many headaches. Walls and construction materials could be a factor as well.

Offline utrph77004

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 11:46:08 am »
I have also noticed this recently as well. One other strange thing I have run into is after rebooting itself using the built in rule, my 3 Echo Dots, my TiVo, and some times my iPad will not get any internet passing through. It will connect but it says internet is off line. When I then force it to manually reboot myself inside the Almond app, everything returns to normal.

The rule I had set was to reboot twice a week at 3 AM. Since this keeps occurring, I turned the rule off and have been just rebooting manually again.

Offline chelupa

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 12:47:18 pm »
Are there any devices near the A+ at the new house that weren't nearby at the old? I had a wireless device near the A+ cause many headaches. Walls and construction materials could be a factor as well.
No there's just the modem mounted near it, but there's no wireless coming from it, so that shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 03:58:11 pm »
Does the stability problems happen within line of sight of the router, s few feet away, only in a particular area or direction?

I found problems with one part of my house at one point. The router was positioned in a spot that made a portion of the house flaky. Turned out I had a major HVAC trunk running right between it and the problem area.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline thepeel

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 09:34:15 pm »
I came in to checkup on the same thing. My Almond+ is wall mounted centrally in our house. None of the devices ever lose their connection to the router, but they lose internet connectivity. The 5G network is always fine. The only thing mounted nearby is a nest thermostat.

I have a script for it to reboot every day at 4am, but even then it usually requires one reboot per day.

Would love to figure this out, as I'm now on the verge of looking into a different router as a result of this instability.

What else can I do to help track this down and resolve it?

Offline utrph77004

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 11:19:01 pm »
My issue definitely is not interfere or a "bad area," as one of the Amazon Echoes is literally 6 feet from the router. It started cropping up in the past 3-4 months after I created the automatic reboot rule.

Offline thepeel

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 11:37:31 pm »
Interesting that you say the automatic reboot has caused it as I instituted an automatic reboot as an attempt to quell the issue.

Offline thepeel

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 10:43:30 pm »
I think my A+ might have caught wind of me complaining because the 2.4 band has become all but unusable. Almost every time I walk by either of my nests they say they are not connected. Most other 2.4 devices disconnect regularly as well. I'm now rebooting 2-4 times a day.

Does anyone have any suggestions I can try? Otherwise I'm going to have to retire my A+.

Thanks,

-peel

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 09:14:34 am »
You say it isn't near anything but what about non-wifi devices? Microwaves, some tv's etc can cause interference. I would remove the reboot rule and test that out.

Offline thepeel

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 12:01:14 pm »
Nope, it's just hanging on a wall in the middle of the house. There is a giant painting of a cow next to it, probably a conspiracy by Big Beef.

I'll remove the reboot rule and test, but I'm curious how that would affecting things since I have to reboot multiple times a day?

FWIW, I didn't always have these problems, or at least not this bad. I think it was after R90 that it became severe.

Offline thepeel

• Backer
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 12:14:50 pm »
For whatever reason I just realized I haven't messed with the actual 2.4 settings themselves for awhile. So I'm curious what settings others are using. Mine is setup as below and hasn't been changed for a very long time.

Device Configuration
     Mode: NGHT20
     Channel: 4
Advanced Settings (I believe these are defaults and haven't checked to see what any of them do)
     Enable Wireless Client Isolation: Unchecked
     Maximum number of Stations: 50
     B/G Protection mode: No Protection
     Chain Mask: 3-Chains
Interface Configuration - Wireless Security
     Encryption: WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK Mixed Mode
     Cipher: Force TKIP and CCMP (AES)

Thanks

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 07:37:43 am »
Channel 4 is probably not a great channel. It is usually recommended to use 1, 6 or 11 or set it to auto. This can alleviate congestion / interference which is what it sounds like is happening even if there isn't an identified source. There are some apps on Android and I believe on iOS that can scan for all wifi sources in a physical area and determine the amount of interference they may be causing for one another. On Android I use and recommend Wifi Analyzer.

Offline Randomocity

• Backer
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 08:58:17 pm »
Ditto for me. My 2.4 GHz signal has been miserable for a while now. It's busy on pretty much all of the bands, but I feel like it's really only been extraordinarily bad since the R89 patch. I've tried changing to various channels, adjusting bandwidth settings, doesn't matter, and I get a ton of packet loss until I reboot the router. Frankly thinking about buying a new one at this point.

Offline pumma

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 10:42:36 am »
Ive had the 2015 used as an extender for about a year now with no issues using my nest outdoor cam. I replaced my linksys router with the almond + and now my outdoor cam is having internet/bandwidth issues where before i had 0 issues. I do see a big difference is throughput between 2.4 and 5GHz.   The only difference aside from swapping the router is before I used WEP and now i am using WPA2

BUMP

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 18 queries.