Choose style:

Author Topic: Wemo Light Switch and Lutron Caseta  (Read 5436 times)

Offline mantech4

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Wemo Light Switch and Lutron Caseta
« on: April 13, 2017, 01:12:06 pm »
Hello guys,
Has anyone successfully added the above 2 devices?
I am trying to create rules but need to first add these devices.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Wemo Light Switch and Lutron Caseta
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 03:10:17 pm »
Wemo Light Switches are wifi devices. Almonds cannot control them directly at this time. You could use it as a presence sensor is all.

As for Lutron Caseta... Not sure how they could support that readily. It appears to have it's own wireless protocol. Not ZigBee or Z-Wave. They would have to add support for the Lutron Caseta bridge (like SmartThings does).
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline mantech4

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 06:29:12 pm »
Thanks for the response. It would be nice if one day these devices can be managed by Almond.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 08:14:38 pm »
Sounds like both COULD... but that would require a whole lot of development into an HTTP or other method, one that would have to allow for many different types of other controllers. It would also end up being very dependent on what those companies do. If they change their APIs or whatever then the whole thing falls apart and Securifi would look bad at first. I know from my own workplace that many people will blame the device/code where they first find the problem even if you have evidence that it was the OS/3rd party software/customer misconfiguration, etc...

No idea if Securifi is working on something that could do this. If they did, awesome. I have stuff I would add also. But... it is not something I am banking on because it is just too susceptible to change. At least with ZigBee and Z-Wave you have general standards that the companies are supposed to support (and even then some of them mess with it).

Offline mantech4

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 12:02:50 pm »
What kind of bulbs or switch are you using?
I am trying to set up my home so that some lights would turn on when my door opens from 7pm to 7am.
It can't be done unless I can link the switches or bulbs to my Almond +.

Thank you

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 01:38:23 pm »
Most ZigBee and Z-Wave devices work for the basics. I have GE Link bulbs for some things (including one that comes on in our Torchiere if it is late and we are not home yet). I also have a few Linear WD500 Dimmer Switches for controlling some lights. Those work well (although they do not send a status if you manually turn them on without pressing the button twice).

Other people have had good luck with other bulbs and switches of course. If there is a type you find and want to know, you can do a search for it in the forum or ask like you did. People will generally try to help.

Offline joltdude

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 12:05:04 pm »
Lutron and Wemo are a bit on the proprietary side... Yes Lutron is a *BIG* company... but even devices that generally support Lutron Caseta require their hub in addition to the device..  Compatibility and Interoperability in general is a problem with the home automation industry in general...

That said.. two of the more interoperable standards are Zigbee and Zwave... And the almond+ supports both.. and the almond3 requires a USB fob to support Zwave...

Offline mantech4

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 04:07:46 pm »
I have all of my devices linked to amazon alexa. I hope one day almond + can talk to alexa and ask it to trigger lights on and lights off when sensors are activate. Is there a way that someone from securifi could give us a list of devices they are working on? If they don't add more compatible devices, people will move to other hubs.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 16 queries.