bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Time App always shows PST? Why can't we select this?  (Read 9038 times)

Offline Scarlip

• Peanut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Time App always shows PST? Why can't we select this?
« on: December 03, 2016, 04:41:42 pm »
The time app always show Pacific Time for me and I'm in Chicago. What gives? Is there no way to select your home time zone?

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Time App always shows PST? Why can't we select this?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 07:30:15 pm »
@ Scarlip,

We can't select the Time zone yet through LCD UI, what happens when you tap on settings and synchronize?

Offline Scarlip

• Peanut
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 06:24:22 pm »
Doing a synchronization doesn't help. Still shows as Pacific time. Does this effect the wireless when you set up someone on a schedule? My 11 year old's wifi needs to be shut off on week nights took keep him from playing Xbox till all hours, but if the router is assuming Pacific time I'll need to make some adjustments.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 09:27:10 pm »
@ Scarlip,

Send the log files and try to login to the Almond 3 Web UI-->Management--> Sync with host, after this please do not hit synchronize again. Thank you!

Offline Scarlip

• Peanut
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 02:01:02 pm »
Did as you asked, no luck. I can change the time zone setting to Central, but after I apply the change it just goes right back to Pacific. Also, tried changing the time zone and then immediately synchronizing...same result, Pacific time zone. I mean, its not a deal breaker. I have a couple of network devices that are on a schedule and I have adjusted the schedule to compensate for the two hour difference, but I just kind of expect a fairly expensive piece of gear to work better than that.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 07:47:38 am »
@ Scarlip,

Did as you asked, no luck. I can change the time zone setting to Central, but after I apply the change it just goes right back to Pacific. Also, tried changing the time zone and then immediately synchronizing...same result, Pacific time zone. I mean, its not a deal breaker. I have a couple of network devices that are on a schedule and I have adjusted the schedule to compensate for the two hour difference, but I just kind of expect a fairly expensive piece of gear to work better than that.

Please do send us the log files, so that we can debug and get back to you. Thank you!

Offline Scarlip

• Peanut
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 05:03:05 pm »
Sorry, not sure how to send log files, or how to generate them for that matter. Please advise!

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 06:55:49 pm »
Two methods:
1) You can go to the WiFi tab in the App and scroll down to select the Send Logs.
2) On the LCD you go to the Help, then select the Send Log option.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 08:14:53 pm »
It is much easier to send from the app though because of the keyboard!

Offline Scarlip

• Peanut
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 07:06:17 am »
Thank you mparadis for the suggestion to use the app to send logs. My units got a software upgrade this morning and I thought just maybe my issue may get fixed in this rollout, however, no luck. Both time and weather apps default to Pacific time and Los Angeles respectively. No adjustments can be made, and synchronizing the clock has no effect either.

I want to set up rules for my children's electronic usage and thought the Almond was going to be just the answer I was looking for. I am currently rather unimpressed. The routers have been finicky, often dropping off the network for no reason, often dropping devices off the network, and unreliable. As far as I can tell, setting up a schedule for my children has resulted in very interesting results, sometimes shutting them down at very random times and sometimes not shutting them down at all.

I'm starting to understand what all the shipping delays were about. The Almond 3 seems to be a great idea, but the execution is half baked at best. Hoping for a resolution soon as I have held off from writing a review, but have a VERY negative one already in draft.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 09:11:41 am »
@ Scarlip,

Thank you mparadis for the suggestion to use the app to send logs. My units got a software upgrade this morning and I thought just maybe my issue may get fixed in this rollout, however, no luck. Both time and weather apps default to Pacific time and Los Angeles respectively. No adjustments can be made, and synchronizing the clock has no effect either.

I want to set up rules for my children's electronic usage and thought the Almond was going to be just the answer I was looking for. I am currently rather unimpressed. The routers have been finicky, often dropping off the network for no reason, often dropping devices off the network, and unreliable. As far as I can tell, setting up a schedule for my children has resulted in very interesting results, sometimes shutting them down at very random times and sometimes not shutting them down at all.

I'm starting to understand what all the shipping delays were about. The Almond 3 seems to be a great idea, but the execution is half baked at best. Hoping for a resolution soon as I have held off from writing a review, but have a VERY negative one already in draft.

Could you please let us know, when we go to whatismyipaddress,com does that match your current location and I would request you to reach our support team (support@securifi.com).

Offline joltdude

• Backer
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 03:01:40 pm »
If you have some skills have you tried using the WebUI to set the units time? Force refresh after you select the timezone and hit apply.. it may not appear as if you changed it.. (a web browser cache issue thats being addressed)

Time is a PITA when it comes to hardware design... its not as cut and dry as you think....
and we wont even go into dealing with scheduling.. Securifi isnt the only one who has some glitches with this...
Also parental controls are another ballgame... its hard to identify the system (because ip addresses change and it has to use a mac address) and then making sure to block all traffic without breaking system services....

Some of the functions unless set manually rely on what is called ip-geolocation.....

In many ways I think routers need built-in software to support GPS modules and a temp controlled oscillator for setting time...
But that doesn't fix the timezone issue believe it or not...

TImezones are somewhat arbitrary.... its not just geographical.... thats why GPS uses UTC ....
You still have to worry about what timezone your in!

It likely will not fix the lcd applets time, but it will fix it for your filtering..if it works

Seriously contact support... Its quite a bit more personal than one of the "big vendors"...

-J

« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 03:11:15 pm by joltdude »

Offline Scarlip

• Peanut
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 05:56:25 am »
So, we're now 5 months from the last news on this and I have seen numerous others post about timezone issues as well. I have taken to rebooting the Almond every week. This seems to ensure that all devices stay on the network and don't just arbitrarily get booted (I've never seen a router system do this, I guess its a feature????) After the Almond comes back up, I go into the advanced router features of the app and manually set the timezone. This seems to work for the most part, however: 1. I don't feel this should be necessary on a $400+ system; 2. sometimes it just arbitrarily reverts back to a Pacific timezone

My verdict on the Amond 3 is C+. When it works, it seems fairly solid. I have some 50 devices attached ranging from lights to audio/video equipment. Some items are always solid, others will unexpectedly drop off the network (Lifx bulbs seem to be particularly vulnerable) and network speeds can range from blazing to mediocre. I have 4 Almond 3's in a mesh setup covering a 3100 sq. ft. house, and yet coverage is only ok. Where its good, its great and where its weak its pretty bad.

I know this is all a fairly immature technology and since I'm in over $400 I'm hoping Securifi will continue to  and work on fixing the many issues I read about on the forums. If after a year we're still in this same functionality space I really will be looking into other solutions.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.