Choose style:

Author Topic: Aeotec Nano Dimmer  (Read 4981 times)

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Aeotec Nano Dimmer
« on: May 24, 2017, 07:00:56 am »
Intriguing... No neutral required. Works without a hub. Can control fans. Doesn't even need a switch. Can control low voltage installs. The features list goes on and on... The only feature I don't see is 3-way support.

The only downsides I see are the $60 price tag and the new device growing/install pains.

In for 1!

Anyone from Securifi gotten their hands on one of these yet?

http://aeotec.com/z-wave-light-dimmer-switch

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Aeotec Nano Dimmer
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 07:35:30 am »
I got six emails from them about this device. I am all for new product news but spamming me was not a way to get me to buy. I also figure $60 as too high. Yes, it does an awful lot but I do not need it to do all those things at any one time. So they put lots of effort and expense into making the 20 item Swiss army knife, when most people at most need the 6 (or just a single knife).

Still, looking forward to hearing how it works out.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 09:40:20 am »
I think its a step in the right direction. I also emailed them about the three way switches. Personally, it would be nice to go hmmm I need to control 3 sockets, 2 ceiling fans, a light and etc and only need to buy one type of device and know that it will work.

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 09:46:15 am »
I think its a step in the right direction. I also emailed them about the three way switches. Personally, it would be nice to go hmmm I need to control 3 sockets, 2 ceiling fans, a light and etc and only need to buy one type of device and know that it will work.

Agreed... I just don't see half of it "just working" with the almond line, especially since there isn't functional Z-wave parameter editing (at least on the A3s). I think deployment will be painful. We'll see...

One thing I do like is that it's supposed to be programmable to be able to function without a hub. So of course no hub rules would be available, but it would have some dimming smarts available.

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 10:47:57 am »
I opened a support ticket with Aeon and they said the nano dimmer is compatible with 3-way (and 4-way, 5-way, etc.), but there is a limitation to the length of wire in the circuit. Anything above a certain length (30ft) and the reliability of the nano detecting the switch decreases to about a 90% success rate. I think. Trying to get clarification...

If that's true, many of my 3-way circuits wouldn't work with this switch. I think anything less than 99.9% reliability is a no-go....

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 09:33:57 am »
Huh. That seems like an important limitation they would have to have pretty well documented.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 09:59:22 am »
Yeah, but I don't think it's advertised anywhere as 3-way compatible.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.

bottleneck