Choose style:

Author Topic: Almond Guard  (Read 9340 times)

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Almond Guard
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 02:59:20 pm »
I got an email and I was interested in this. It looks like a good idea.

1. It's still got that absurdly small resistive screen. It was good by 2013 standards, but today it's too small.

2. Will the router part be continuously updated? I know the problems we have with Almond+

3. I see no mention of AppleKit support. Now that software authentication is allowed. I see no reason why Almond should not have that.

4. How has everyone else's experience of Almond3's hardware compatibility been? Are all popular sensors supported? Is the performance better than Almond+ ?

1) It is small but I use mine less and less as I use the app, which is much more useful and as a change since Almond+ release is that I use voice control for a major number of "normal things"
2) I believe it will be, but the Almond+ is also several years old now and I know they had issues with the chip maker I believe being bought by a competitor
3) I hope Applekit support would be added but not for me personally, I don't use it, but just for acceptance
4) Sensors are supported, hardware is nice without hearing about failures etc. I think performance is better for home automation stuff and wifi (when using Mesh setup). It is not as "powerful" as the Almond+ but when meshed it surpasses. Mesh can be done wirelessly OR wired which is a killer feature.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 04:17:17 pm »
To add on mparadis, the Almond 3 is still missing some things Almond+ had (mostly software). I was a bit bummed it went the dongle route for Z-Wave Support because it is fairly ugly sticking out there... But it has a couple advantages:
1) As new Z-Wave versions are available (Z-Wave Plus) the dongle can be switched out. Almond+ was stuck.
2) Having it built in also meant they needed models for EVERY different region / frequency range of Z-Wave. They all needed to be certified, tested, etc...

I also wish the UI was bigger, but I do use it less than I did originally. The battery backup on an Almond 3s might be great for adding devices in also. No longer need to wait for boot, or carry the router and UPS around.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 11:55:09 am »
I also wish the UI was bigger, but I do use it less than I did originally. The battery backup on an Almond 3s might be great for adding devices in also. No longer need to wait for boot, or carry the router and UPS around.

This!!!!

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 03:45:46 pm »
I know, right? Four hours should be enough even when I have to transfer my 90 plus devices over to the new system. Unless Securifi is going to come out with a transfer method. :)

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2017, 06:04:13 pm »
I don't anticipate a transfer method and also, even though it would be nice, I'd rather start with clean install of each device.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2017, 07:46:00 pm »
I do not bet on one either... and I often appreciate a "clean install". But 90 devices of going around removing and then adding them back in can get a bit tedious.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2017, 07:49:38 pm »
I am around 70 but haven't installed any new ones in the last few months for that reason  :P

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 20 queries.