Choose style:

Author Topic: Nest Protect or other Smoke / CO detectors  (Read 4018 times)

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Nest Protect or other Smoke / CO detectors
« on: June 21, 2017, 11:26:25 am »
I am looking to replace a few smoke / co detectors and was wondering what everyone's experience with the Nest Protect is. I want something that works with the Almond eco system and would be interested in knowing what skills / features work. Also open to other suggestions. I have First Alert combo devices that seem to work but don't do anything fancy. Thanks!

Offline fillibar

• Backer
Re: Nest Protect or other Smoke / CO detectors
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 06:25:27 pm »
Nest Protect can be added to Almond via the Nest API... But it is pretty useless. Nest has locked it down so you cannot read any of the sensors.

Halo Labs is an alternative. The Halo+ has lots of sensors and pairs... But there still needs to be work on both their side and Securifi's before it will be fully supported. It looks like it would be pretty nice. I have one and it works well otherwise.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline Petebitt

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 05:43:25 pm »
I have Nest Protect devices.  They are connected to Almond+ but as stated elsewhere not a lot of value in doing that.  They are however excellent devices, and there is not a Great need to read or write to these devices.  I particularly like that these devices are linked so that they will sound an alarm on every device if one device detects smoke or CO.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 06:08:02 pm »
I have a Nest also and it is pretty decent. I wish they had just come through with making it more "accessible". Also, it does not connect to other smoke detectors, only other Nest Protects. For example, the Halo also has the alarm wire so that it can trigger any other smoke detectors on that line. Of course it can also trigger other Halos without the wire. Nice plus for our house as they are all too expensive to just replace an existing set of new detectors. Maybe once the old ones start to expire.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 16 queries.