bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Ideal Home Hub System  (Read 5785 times)

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Ideal Home Hub System
« on: July 17, 2017, 10:30:40 am »
Thought it might be fun to do up a thread of things that would be ideal in future devices or with future firmware.

An ideal home hub system for me would include / be:

• Wall Mountable; easily wall mounted with all cabling hidden
  • Aesthetic / Modern
  • Built In Speakers; for use as an alarm, alerts/notifications, intercom, video/audio playback,  and for music
  • Built In Microphone; use for intercom, sound sensor/recorder, voice activated assistants
  • Built In Camera; use for intercom, ip camera, motion sensing, light sensing, presence detection
  • Easily removed BUT with an alarm mechanism when it is removed
  • Touch Screen; auto-on when approaching / presence sensor
  • Thin! Think Tabletesque
  • LED ring around the device for alerts, notifications, status updates, ambient lighting
  • User choice of Google Assistant and/or Amazon Alexa built in
  • Control of all major automation protocols; Wifi, BlueTooth, Zigbee, Z Wave
  • Control for home entertainment; chromecasts (audio / video), SONOS, FireTV devices (some can be handled through the integration of Google Assistant)
  • Support for major non-standard protocol devices i.e. Nest; Lifx; Hue; Rachio etc
  • Add-ons via third party development possible (open API etc)
  • Multiple USB 3.0 ports, with full support for devices like printers, hard drives, DVR's
  • POE
  • High end WiFi with true mesh capabilities
  • Usable as video/intercom system
  • Built in camera accessible remotely like standard IP Cam
  • Fully adjustable touch screen interface; such as movable tiles, sensor input/output, camera feeds, etc
  • Full featured App ecosystem including multiple user profiles (admin, user, guest); guest access; camera feeds; network throughputs; fingerprint authorization; connection with hub for video/intercom use; customizable
  • Backup battery for all units (primary / mesh)
  • Backup 4g connection
  • Ability to backup all settings and reinstall from backup
  • Ability to control all meshed devices, and their hardware, via app / other device screens
  • Ability for any of the mesh devices to take primary control
  • Notifications app on the hub; with visual notification such as the LED for missed notifications
  • Ability to record video on connected IP cams to external hard drive
  • Ability to replay videos from connected hard drive
  • Continued Support for local / direct connection
  • All actions, triggers, scenes, rules etc etc etc occur locally

I have undoubtedly forgotten things. Most of the software/ hardware features that already exist in the Almond ecosystem I didn't include.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
Re: Ideal Home Hub System
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 12:10:23 pm »
Couple to comment on while I have a second:
USB, should be able to be disabled. It would also be beneficial if the USB was hidden (for use with accessories). I do not think all that support is needed though, not directly. See next item
Mounting could be a frame/box/dock mounting for power, extended battery, all cables, etc... This could be an accessory itself. If the unit will be wall mounted it connects additional battery and cabling. If desk mounted it makes more USB ports available (assuming an office) or a simple clean dock/stand.
PoE... It would be useful if it could receive power via PoE but I would not expect it to supply it. Less cables to hook up then.
Speakers should be stereo. Even better if it could play it's audio via Bluetooth though.
Mesh units could be configured in a fallback manner to the master if it fails for some reason. But this would be optionally enabled (on by default) with the fallback order and maybe reasons selectable.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
Re: Ideal Home Hub System
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 01:40:12 pm »
Couple to comment on while I have a second:
USB, should be able to be disabled. It would also be beneficial if the USB was hidden (for use with accessories). I do not think all that support is needed though, not directly. See next item
Mounting could be a frame/box/dock mounting for power, extended battery, all cables, etc... This could be an accessory itself. If the unit will be wall mounted it connects additional battery and cabling. If desk mounted it makes more USB ports available (assuming an office) or a simple clean dock/stand.
PoE... It would be useful if it could receive power via PoE but I would not expect it to supply it. Less cables to hook up then.
Speakers should be stereo. Even better if it could play it's audio via Bluetooth though.
Mesh units could be configured in a fallback manner to the master if it fails for some reason. But this would be optionally enabled (on by default) with the fallback order and maybe reasons selectable.

All good ideas and better written than I was able to communicate  :D

Offline KamElect

YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Ideal Home Hub System
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 09:42:44 am »
There is an older thread here somewhere. Youll find the reason for not having a plugin in it. And some info how you can at least control the hub with an external app.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 16 queries.

bottleneck