bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Range Extender  (Read 4341 times)

Offline Nhandy

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Range Extender
« on: July 20, 2017, 01:23:01 pm »
I'm using my Almond 2015 in range extender mode to enable me to connect it to a TV via Ethernet cable.

If I connect my phone via wifi to my modem and put it next to the Almond I get a speed of 45 Mbps. If ion next to the Almond instead I only get 4 Mbps.

What have I done wrong with my setup?

srikanthkosuri

Re: Range Extender
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 01:39:46 pm »
@Nhandy

When you are using Almond as the range extender, the speeds will 40%-50% of the main router as range extender uses 2-way communication.

Please connect any device to the main router network at Almond location and perform the speed test for 2-3 times.

Let us know the results.

Offline Nhandy

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 02:23:48 pm »
Not quite sure what you mean. How do I connect to the main Rourt network. Sorry - I'm a bit confused!

If I connect my iPhone to my router while standing next to my Almond I get over 40 Mbps consistently. If I connect my iPhone to the Almond I get a max of 4 Mbps. Is that what you mean?

srikanthkosuri

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 04:03:38 pm »
@ Nhandy,

Thank you for the information and regret the inconvenience caused. What we were trying to ensure is the speed of main router network at the Almond's location and are we making sure that your device (iPhone) is not connected to the 5 GHz network and what is the distance between the Almond and main router?

Offline Nhandy

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 04:10:23 pm »
Almond is 20 feet (2 floors) directly above the cable modem. Can Almond act as range extender direct from modem? All on 2.4 Hz.

Offline Nhandy

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 12:32:21 pm »
Can anyone help with this?

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 01:26:03 pm »
The range extender mode connects to an existing WiFi network, then repeats that signal from it's location. This means it WILL be slower (it is using some itself, and there is signal degradation) but a 90% loss seems high. Couple things that might help figure it out:
1) Is the cable modem also your main wifi router?
2) What is your main wifi router?
3) How far is the Almond 2015 from your main wifi router?
4) Between the Almond 2015 and main wifi router are there any walls, HVAC ducting, major wiring or plumbing that might help block the signal?
5) If you connect your iPhone to the main router's wifi, what are the speed test results if you hold it right where the Almond 2015 would be? (Does it get similar loss there for example).
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline Nhandy

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 03:36:30 pm »
The wifi router is a Linksys EA 4500 an it provides all of the download speed of the modem (200 Mbps). Both the modem and the router are in the basement. The Almond is on the 2nd floor more or less above the modem.

If I stand right next to the Almond I get 45 Mbps on my phone but the But if I switch the phone to connect the Almond and rerun the speed test it shows 4 Mbps. I was wondering if I need to use other settings on the Almond. It looks like there is something called WWLAN and then I see mention of "Transparent".

I'm baffled...

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 07:13:26 pm »
@ Nhandy,

Yes, you can try unchecking the option "Transparent Bridge", which would enable the Wireless WAN. However, 4 Mbps is too low and please do reach our support team at support@securifi.com to further assist you on this.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.