bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Cheap hidden cabinet lock  (Read 3151 times)

Offline philburtaj

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Cheap hidden cabinet lock
« on: September 10, 2017, 09:44:21 pm »
My wife and I decided it would be a good idea to setup a lock on our liquor cabinet. We looked for a bar cabinet that included a lock and couldn't find anything to our liking, and I also couldn't find any attractive traditional locks that could be added to the cabinet we did want to buy. So I decided to get creative!

Used one of the Z-wave AC switches that I got with my Almond+ and invested an additional $10 :

Installed IFTTT on my phone, setup a scene to turn the switch on, and a rule to turn the switch off after 6 seconds and voila - button on my phone that says "Open Cabinet"! Just had to find a hidden outlet for the switch and power adapter. I have to say this is the most useful home automation setup I've done with my Almond+ since I got it.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Cheap hidden cabinet lock
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 02:30:42 pm »
Nice. Creative solution to it, especially since you based it on what you have out there. Looking at the need here are a couple quick ideas for others:
1) Using a Z-Wave or ZigBee relay to directly switch power for the lock.
2) Using a curtain or other motorized ZigBee or Z-Wave controller (Monoprice used to have a bunch cheap, have not looked lately) in order to power a solenoid to act as the lock's bolt.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.